• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Crazy Sister In Law

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

DawnInFlorida

What is the name of your state? Florida

I don't have the space or the time to relate the entire scenario in this very bitter divorce. I will preface all this by telling you that my sister in law is a liar and a user. She is divorcing my brother after 22 years of marriage. He is on 100% disability and as a result of her controlling nature, has finally found a pain management physician that isn't filling him with drugs.

In order to justify what she's done, she has claimed that he tried to kill her and has taken a restraining order out on him. He's petitioning it now and there's every reason to believe that the courts will see that the whole thing is a ruse. My question and my issue is, my parents have been involved in their lives since they had childeren. My neice is 14 now and my nephew 12. My parents sold a beautiful home in Hyannisport, Massachusetts to move to Florida when my brother and sister in law moved here and needed day care. My sister in law claimed that the children had been abused in day care and my parents were frantic so they moved.

My parents have taken care of those children since they were born. They have a strong bond with them and love them desperately. My sister in law now tells them that as Grandparents they have no rights to see the kids. She tells my father that they're afraid of them - which is ludicrous, and they haven't seen them since Christmas.

What kind of rights do they have? My sister in law is filling their heads with all kinds of things about my brother and my parents which are hateful and vindictive. She's letting them see the kids on Easter but she insists on being present the entire time - which, as you can imagine, is very uncomfortable for my parents. Do they have recourse? Is there anything they can do?

The divorce isn't final yet so no visitation has been established between my brother and his children - because of this bogus restraining order he hasn't seen them since January.

She's a vicious human being, but we suck it up and placate her in order to keep the peace but she's making life hell for all of us. Please tell me if there is anything we can do to keep my parents involved in their Grandchildren's lives. Thank you.

LdiJ

DawnInFlorida said:
What is the name of your state? Florida

I don't have the space or the time to relate the entire scenario in this very bitter divorce. I will preface all this by telling you that my sister in law is a liar and a user. She is divorcing my brother after 22 years of marriage. He is on 100% disability and as a result of her controlling nature, has finally found a pain management physician that isn't filling him with drugs.

In order to justify what she's done, she has claimed that he tried to kill her and has taken a restraining order out on him. He's petitioning it now and there's every reason to believe that the courts will see that the whole thing is a ruse. My question and my issue is, my parents have been involved in their lives since they had childeren. My neice is 14 now and my nephew 12. My parents sold a beautiful home in Hyannisport, Massachusetts to move to Florida when my brother and sister in law moved here and needed day care. My sister in law claimed that the children had been abused in day care and my parents were frantic so they moved.

My parents have taken care of those children since they were born. They have a strong bond with them and love them desperately. My sister in law now tells them that as Grandparents they have no rights to see the kids. She tells my father that they're afraid of them - which is ludicrous, and they haven't seen them since Christmas.

What kind of rights do they have? My sister in law is filling their heads with all kinds of things about my brother and my parents which are hateful and vindictive. She's letting them see the kids on Easter but she insists on being present the entire time - which, as you can imagine, is very uncomfortable for my parents. Do they have recourse? Is there anything they can do?

The divorce isn't final yet so no visitation has been established between my brother and his children - because of this bogus restraining order he hasn't seen them since January.

She's a vicious human being, but we suck it up and placate her in order to keep the peace but she's making life hell for all of us. Please tell me if there is anything we can do to keep my parents involved in their Grandchildren's lives. Thank you.
In Florida grandparents do not have any rights at all. Therefore, unless their son obtains visitation rights of his own and chooses to share that time with his parents...there is nothing that they can do except to accept whatever the mother is willing to give.

B

bradybunchmom

dont meddle

and stay out of it-its between your brother and his wife, and no business of yours or your parents. the last thing they need right now is a lot fo people meddling

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">