• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Grand Theft Auto

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Kimberlys

California

Hi,
I got a threatening phone call today from an "Investigator WHite" telling me that the police has an APB out on my brother because he hasn't made his car payments in 6 months. I saw a bank statement at his house several months ago that stated his car payments are being taken out of his bank account automatically every month. I have no way of knowing if he is still making his car payments or not, he won't talk to me. He has this car parked at my house because when he moved out of state looking for work, he needed a place to store it. My question is can I get into legal trouble for storing his car at my house? How can I find out if he has an APB out for his arrest?
Thank you for any help you can give me.
Kim

Last edited:

CdwJava

It would be very unusual for an officer to call and tell you that there is an "APB" for your brother's arrest ... we don't generally use that term in California.

If I had tyo guess, I'd say that it's a collection or repo agent trying to scare someone into coughing up the car.

One way to find out is to call the local police and ask if they know of a detective White ... or, see if they'll tell you if there is a warrant for your brother's arrest. Usually, missing car payments is going to be a civil matter and NOT a criminal one. Though, there ARE exceptions.

- Carl

Kimberlys

Thank you Carl for replying.

I'll call the police and ask if there is an arrest warrant for my brother.

Can I get in trouble for having his car on my lot? I want to do the right thing and I don't want to get in trouble. I'm so upset at him for putting me in this predicament. Thanks again.

conflix

Kimberlys said:
I want to do the right thing
Hi, Kim. You CAN do the right thing.

Call the investigator back and tell him where the car is....and have a glass of lemonade ready for the repo-man.

When your brother inquires about the car, tell him you came home and it was gone. When you called the police they said it was repossessed.

IMHO, that is doing the right thing. :)

BelizeBreeze

conflix said:
Hi, Kim. You CAN do the right thing.

Call the investigator back and tell him where the car is....and have a glass of lemonade ready for the repo-man.

When your brother inquires about the car, tell him you came home and it was gone. When you called the police they said it was repossessed.

IMHO, that is doing the right thing. :)
And your opinion would be wrong. First, do you have proof that the call is legitimate and not a prank? NO. Do you have knowledge that there is, in fact, a Detective White working at the police department? No. Do you have some insight into this particular case which would allow it to be filed under criminal charges and not civil that we don't know about? NO.

Simply put, carl is correct. This poster needs to verify the information first before doing anything. And then act.

A

absconder

Phone calls

Yea right the police are gonna call you to tell you your wanted.As far as the law knows he could be staying there.

Kimberlys

I just called "Special Investigator White" back (she left me an 800 number) to see what company she was calling from (too early for anything to be open) and all I got was an answering machine in her voice that said, "Investigator White, I'm out in the field, please leave a message". So I am starting to think that this is a collection agency. I haven't called the police yet. It is still too early and last night when I first posted it was too late. I guess the police don't have regular office hours though, do they? Maybe I am just to scared to call! :eek:

I will do the right thing, but if in fact my brother has been making his payments I don't want to give the car back, he will lose everything he has payed into it and I will lose everything I have lent him. I told him long ago he needs to sell that damn car until he is caught up with his bills.

On the other hand, if he is wanted for GTA, I don't want to be an accessory.

CdwJava

I do not know of ANY CA law enforcement agency that has an 800 number toi a detective's desk. Heck, I can't think of an agency that even has an 800 number!

If your brother is behind on payments, then he really should return the car.

You should contact the police and report this "Investigator White" for impersonating a police officer, or, if he continues to call, ask about filing a report for annoying and harassing calls.

- Carl

conflix

BelizeBreeze said:
And your opinion would be wrong. First, do you have proof that the call is legitimate and not a prank? NO. Do you have knowledge that there is, in fact, a Detective White working at the police department? No. Do you have some insight into this particular case which would allow it to be filed under criminal charges and not civil that we don't know about? NO.

Simply put, carl is correct. This poster needs to verify the information first before doing anything. And then act.
Aren’t you the same BelizeBreeze who wrote, “And you are seriously deluded. The police are under no obligation to stop questioning you after being informed that you request an attorney.”

CdwJava

conflix said:
Aren’t you the same BelizeBreeze who wrote, “And you are seriously deluded. The police are under no obligation to stop questioning you after being informed that you request an attorney.”
Well ... if there is no custody, then he is right.

If I am talking to a suspect on the street and he requests an attorney, I don't HAVE to stop talking to him. He is free to stop talking and walk away if he wants to. It's a good idea to read him a Miranda or Beheler admonishment, but it's not required.

- carl

Kimberlys

Well I called the police, actually the sheriff's department, there is no arrest warrant out for my brother. I finally got a hold of him (my brother) and he assured me that he had been in touch with the loan company and had it all taken care of. He is behind on payments but he had made an arrangement with the loan company to keep current on his payments and make up the other late payments. Heck, the car is not even worth what he owes on it and if he did decide to give the car back, the loan company would get maybe half of what the car is worth at an auction. I doubt the loan company even wants the car back. Now we still have to find out who this "Investigator White" is and why she is persuing this. This lady just made us all have a really screwed up Easter. I am a good person who has always believed in paying my bills and I believe my brother is too, but a bought of unemployment has brought some bad luck upon him and he is struggling to get his head above water. I know that some bad eggs have made these repossesors what they are, hard-nosed jerks but dang the rest of us have to pay for it now!

Thanks again for all your posts and help in this very stressful situation.

RepoMonkey

undefined Iam a Repoman in southern california. The female calling you is definitly not a cop, she is only a skip tracer trying to track down the car. Your question of if you could get in trouble hiding the car for your brother? answer is yes ultimately, but rarely will get to this level. Yes, the finance company can report the car stolen and whoever is driving the car when the cop run the plates will be arrested for GTA. This by all means is the very last resort the bank want to do, reasons being court fees to file stolen report, more court time & fees after recovered car, and the police fees on a manditory 30 Day impound. :eek: The easiest and most simple way to stop people calling and stopping by in the middle of the night is to make your brother take the car or just tell the "investigator chick" your address and they will do the rest.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">