• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

father dead, never rcvd support checks

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nana242

What is the name of your state?Pennsylvania
I have recently found out that my father, who I presumed dead after disappearing out of my life when I was 6 yrs. old (now 28yrs old) has been alive all this time leading a productive life in Tennessee. But, he passed away from an illness last summer. After meeting with his widow, who was responsible for finding me after he died, I was told that he had paid child support for me over the years and that she had proof that his income tax refund had also been taken for support. Problem is, I never rcvd any of it. I'm wondering how I can see if my state has that collected money for me somewhere. Any idea where to start looking?

nagol818

Where is your real mother? Did you live with her? If not who did you live with? Who told you your father was dead all these years?

nana242

response

Yes, I lived with my Mother & at the time my father was messed up with drugs & and alcoholic. So after the divorce, he made a few CS payments, couldn't keep up, and left town, never to be heard from again. When my Mom
signed up for Medical Assistance, they did a search for him & we thought, were unsuccessful. My father rarely carried an ID with him & with him being so involved with drugs & alcohol at the time, we assumed that he probably overdosed or got himself into trouble and died. Never once rcvd a card or call from him in all those years. So, now that we've spoken with his widow & she says he's made payments, We're a bit confused. Did he lie to her? Did he infact make the payments, but because he was in another state, did they just never get to us? Who knows?!!

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Regardless, YOU would not be the one getting the money - Mom would. If she received state aid, the state would get their moneyu first.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">