• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Job change

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

elaine60

What is the name of your state?Indiana. I was hired for an office position in August of 2003. At the time of interviewing for the position I was told that I would be taking care of accounts payable and working in the car rental department. Last July the rental department was closed and I still continued to take car of accounts payable and car deals. Only one of the office managers that hired me remains, she took over the position of the other one. They also laid off the body shop office manager. Work is very slow and I am finding daily that now I have been reduced to clean up person. I spent all last week upstairs in the attic shredding documents from 10 years ago. I have had a constant sinus infection and also am now having problems with my back due to lifting of boxes and such. These duties were not in my job description. I was told yesterday that since I am done with record shredding, next week I would be cleaning the sales meeting room. I was hired for my accounting abilities and computer experience which neither of which am I really being able to use. The office manager is dong most of my work because she has none of her own to do. I am to the point of quitting but do not want to be without pay until I find another job. If I would of wanted to do heavy lifting and such l would of acquired a job in manufacturing. Am I required to work in a position that I was not hired for without the benefit of being consulted on weather or not I even want the position? Then too if I choose to decline this new found position can I then claim unemployment benefits. All companies get slow this I understand but I was reduced from office work to manual labor. There are three of us here and the only reason that I think they are keeping me here is so that they can go home at 5pm instead of 5:30 and also that they have a fill in for when they want days off. Also I was told by the office manager that the owner wanted no overtime after she acquired that position but know for a fact that her and the other girl get an average of 5-12 hours per week of overtime. If she was not constantly getting overtime I would have work to do during the week.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Am I required to work in a position that I was not hired for without the benefit of being consulted on weather or not I even want the position?

No, you are welcome to quit any time you want. But if you want to continue getting paid, you have to do whatever duties they provide you. Short of a bona fide contract that specifically spells out that you will perform x duties and no others, your employer gets to change your job duties any time he chooses.

Then too if I choose to decline this new found position can I then claim unemployment benefits

Nope. If you quit for this reason you will NOT qualify for unemployment benefits.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">