• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wage attachment and quitting job

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

elaine60

What is the name of your state? Indiana. My ex lives in Florida. After finally getting both my children raised I decided right before my daughter turned 18 to go into court and try to have my ex-husband wages attached to so I could get the back support that was owed. The judge signed the order in December. I received on payment and then nothing. I thought maybe it would take awhile since he lived in Florida plus I also owed my lawyer 1100.00 for executing all of this trying to get 4000.00 in back support. Well to make a long story short my ex quit his job of 6 years. Now I do not know where he is employed, he told my daughter something about real estate. Heres my question, since the judge signed the order can I instead sue him for the money like small claims. I know there is a limit on the amount but right now I would take it to help my kids. Then to if he does not come to court and does not respond can they issue a warrant for his arrest if he enters the state of Indiana. I never bothered him if he was behind the whole times my kids were growing up but I am to the point where its either going to be money or his hide. I was more than fair and I am done being nice. Anyone have any answers?

Phnx02

elaine60 said:
What is the name of your state? Indiana. My ex lives in Florida. After finally getting both my children raised I decided right before my daughter turned 18 to go into court and try to have my ex-husband wages attached to so I could get the back support that was owed. The judge signed the order in December. I received on payment and then nothing. I thought maybe it would take awhile since he lived in Florida plus I also owed my lawyer 1100.00 for executing all of this trying to get 4000.00 in back support. Well to make a long story short my ex quit his job of 6 years. Now I do not know where he is employed, he told my daughter something about real estate. Heres my question, since the judge signed the order can I instead sue him for the money like small claims. I know there is a limit on the amount but right now I would take it to help my kids. Then to if he does not come to court and does not respond can they issue a warrant for his arrest if he enters the state of Indiana. I never bothered him if he was behind the whole times my kids were growing up but I am to the point where its either going to be money or his hide. I was more than fair and I am done being nice. Anyone have any answers?
No you cannot go to small claims court for this. This is a family law issue and must continue to be handled thru the family courts division. You need to file for contempt thru this same court.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">