• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child support and adoption questions

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Brandon925

What is the name of your state? California

Hello everyone. My GF and I live in California and have a baby due in about 7 months. We had planned to raise it as a family but now she is having doubts about how she feels about me. (the only reason I mention this is so you all know I am not planning on running out on her but it might not work)

So.... If we do split up and lets say she wants to put the baby up for adoption but I do not. Would I get sole custody? What if I want to put it up for adoption but she does not? Would I have to pay child support? Also what if we do a joint custody where we both have the child equal ammounts of time and share expenses. Would I still have to pay her support on top of that?

I am currently on disability and dont even get $900 a month. If I was forced to pay child support is there a set % they would take from this?

Again I am not some scum bag looking to get out of my responsibilities. I just want to know what to expect.

so here are my main questions.

#1 do we both have to sign papers for adoption or does she have that right to choose 100 %?

#2 how might child support be handled if we do joint custody?

#3 What happens if either one of us want to do adoption but the other does not.

Thank you for any help everyone!

Brandon925

one more thing

California

Also one more questions. If she opts for adoption and I take sole custody will she have to pay me child support?

Thanks everyone

Phnx02

Brandon925 said:
What is the name of your state? California

Hello everyone. My GF and I live in California and have a baby due in about 7 months. We had planned to raise it as a family but now she is having doubts about how she feels about me. (the only reason I mention this is so you all know I am not planning on running out on her but it might not work)

So.... If we do split up and lets say she wants to put the baby up for adoption but I do not. Would I get sole custody? What if I want to put it up for adoption but she does not? Would I have to pay child support? Also what if we do a joint custody where we both have the child equal ammounts of time and share expenses. Would I still have to pay her support on top of that?

I am currently on disability and dont even get $900 a month. If I was forced to pay child support is there a set % they would take from this?

Again I am not some scum bag looking to get out of my responsibilities. I just want to know what to expect.

so here are my main questions.

#1 do we both have to sign papers for adoption or does she have that right to choose 100 %?

#2 how might child support be handled if we do joint custody?

#3 What happens if either one of us want to do adoption but the other does not.

Thank you for any help everyone!
In order to put the baby up for adoption, you will both need to sign the papers terminating your parental rights. She can offer to do this without your knowledge or consent, by claiming she doesn't know who the father is, but since you know you're the father you can contest the adoption and stop it. (The courts would seek you out anyways before an adoption would be finalized). If she consents to adoption, but you don't, you will be be given sole custody. In this case, she will have to pay child support. It is either parent's right to keep the child, and if one or the other does, the other parent must pay cs whether he/she likes it or not. Samely, if she decides to keep the baby, and you don't, you will have to pay her cs.

As far as joint custody....again both parents have to agree to this arrangement. Joint custody can mean 50/50 physical care or just one parent having primary residence but the other parent still has equal "say-so" on such issues as daycare, school, religious, and medical needs. Even in 50/50 physical care arrangements, a judge may still order cs to be paid to the other. Each case is different.....some may not order any cs be paid to the other since you each have 50% care. If you are on disability, this is considered income and cs will be determined on a certain percentage of this amount. Generally, this is 20%. Sometimes, cs will be garnished directly from your monthly checks.

You are wise to consider all these things now. However, as a parent who considers children as the biggest blessing in one's life, if you have any doubts about giving your child up for adoption, you need so do some serious soul-searching as to the reasons why other than if you'll have to pay child support if you don't.

Brandon925

thanks

Thank you for all the info. Do not worry. having to pay child support is not the major factor in deciding on or agaisnt adoption. My first factor is will my gf and I still be together to provide a loving family. Second is if not how can I monitor who she has the kid around. She has a past in drugs and even though she has not done anything past marijuana in the past 4 years and now has even quit that I question who will be around as all her old friends live in this town. Ex BFs too :mad: anyway the baby is my first and formost concern. I just want to know what my rights are should it be relvant. I hope none of this ever is.

Thank you so much for your response and God bless. HAPPY EASTER TOO!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">