• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

destroyed documentation for child support

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

floridawildfire

What is the name of your state? I live in Florida but the child support question generates from Michigan child support.

While in the Army I had my child support payments deducted from my pay.
The state of Michigan has been doing rehauls on their child support office computer or something is going on up there...it's crazy some of the horror stories I'm hearing about. I received a notice from Michigan that I did not pay child support for my now 21 year old daughter. When I wrote to the Army's financial department, they informed me that they do not keep records past six years. Of course, those are the years I need proof that I paid the child support. I am being fined to death over this. What can I do? I paid the child support on time and faithfully!!!

Gracie3787

Were the CS payments sent through the court system? If so, check with the Court Clerk's Office. They may have a record of those payments. Will your ex be willing to verify that you paid?

If none of that is possible, then the best thing you can do is to consult with an attorney, preferrably one who is very knowledgable on CS matters.
Good luck.

LdiJ

floridawildfire said:
What is the name of your state? I live in Florida but the child support question generates from Michigan child support.

While in the Army I had my child support payments deducted from my pay.
The state of Michigan has been doing rehauls on their child support office computer or something is going on up there...it's crazy some of the horror stories I'm hearing about. I received a notice from Michigan that I did not pay child support for my now 21 year old daughter. When I wrote to the Army's financial department, they informed me that they do not keep records past six years. Of course, those are the years I need proof that I paid the child support. I am being fined to death over this. What can I do? I paid the child support on time and faithfully!!!
Do you have any old paystubs anywhere?...Do you have old boxes of records stored somewhere that might have something that will help you? Do you have your previous tax returns that might possibly have some information with them that would help? Start digging....you probably have something, somewhere.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">