• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

noise issues in a co-op

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tc95

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? new jersey

i have a legal question. i live in the bottom floor of a co-op. when i moved in 8 years ago , i was given rules to read. one of the rules has to do with children under the age of 16 living upstairs. it says it is not allowed. the people upstairs make much noise. the kids jump off furniture on to the floor. they throw things on the kitchen floor. run around late at nite 10 11 12 pm.
i guess i dont have to say much more. my co-op rules say it is not allowed for under 16 to live upstairs. my assocaition does nothing about anything.
is it legal for the rule they have? if not, can i force them to do something about the noise? or since i bought under the rules they gave me, can i make them buy me out? the only problem with that as i could see would be they would not pay what they should, and i have totally remodeled. any advice would be greatly appreciated.

thank you

HomeGuru

tc95 said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? new jersey

i have a legal question. i live in the bottom floor of a co-op. when i moved in 8 years ago , i was given rules to read. one of the rules has to do with children under the age of 16 living upstairs. it says it is not allowed. the people upstairs make much noise. the kids jump off furniture on to the floor. they throw things on the kitchen floor. run around late at nite 10 11 12 pm.
i guess i dont have to say much more. my co-op rules say it is not allowed for under 16 to live upstairs. my assocaition does nothing about anything.
is it legal for the rule they have? if not, can i force them to do something about the noise? or since i bought under the rules they gave me, can i make them buy me out? the only problem with that as i could see would be they would not pay what they should, and i have totally remodeled. any advice would be greatly appreciated.

thank you
**A: please post word for word exactly what the rule states. Do not intrepret or use your own words. Also post the title of the document that the rule is from and the date written.

tc95

hi home guru

there is no document. its just on regular paper. typed up by the corporation. but the rule says : no children under the age of 16 shall reside in the second level apartments.
when you buy here you have to be interviewed. so my guess is the board does not care , as they knew the people had kids. im not against people with kids, but they have no respect. thanks for help. i think its against federal law though to deny on those grounds . but not 100 % sure.

HomeGuru

tc95 said:
hi home guru

there is no document. its just on regular paper. typed up by the corporation. but the rule says : no children under the age of 16 shall reside in the second level apartments.
when you buy here you have to be interviewed. so my guess is the board does not care , as they knew the people had kids. im not against people with kids, but they have no respect. thanks for help. i think its against federal law though to deny on those grounds . but not 100 % sure.

**A: the children restriction rule is not enforceable.

tc95

thanks home :)

i kinda thought that might be true. they also have a rule that says
no noise after 11pm. i wonder if that is enforceable?
if i try to make them buy me out im sure they will not give me
what i can sell for privately. im thinking of just selling and not
making to much of a stink. this board is not the best. they follow
some rules and some they dont. oh well thanks again.

HomeGuru

tc95 said:
thanks home :)

i kinda thought that might be true. they also have a rule that says
no noise after 11pm. i wonder if that is enforceable?

**A: yes.
if i try to make them buy me out im sure they will not give me
what i can sell for privately. im thinking of just selling and not
making to much of a stink. this board is not the best. they follow
some rules and some they dont. oh well thanks again.

**A: good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">