• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Shocking Child Support Letter

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Border

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? CA

I recently recieved a letter from the child support agency requesting my income and expenses. I have not seen the mother of this child for 11 years. and she never told me about any kids or that she had been pregnant with my child. I dont even know if the child is mine. I never knew that she was pregnant or anything because we never spoke. Now the child would be around 10 years and 3 months old if the child is mine. Do I have to fill the info out for the child support services? How can they send me something if I never signed the childs (boy or girl, I dont even know) birth certificate? Dont they need to prove to me that I am the childs father. and also if I request a paternity test and if the child is mine, would I have to pay child support for the last 10 years eventhough I didn't know I had a child? Thank you very Much Please respond

BelizeBreeze

Don't you think it's time to take the letter to a competent family attorney so that you can file a paternity action? Or are you going to respond without proof that the child is yours?

misslawli

DO NOT IGNORE IT!!!!

Otherwise they will find you the father by default. Odds are you have been named and now you will have the chance to ask for DNA. (unless you have alread been legally established as the father.) Consult with a lawyer. Alot of them give free consults.

Phnx02

Border said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? CA

I recently recieved a letter from the child support agency requesting my income and expenses. I have not seen the mother of this child for 11 years. and she never told me about any kids or that she had been pregnant with my child. I dont even know if the child is mine. I never knew that she was pregnant or anything because we never spoke. Now the child would be around 10 years and 3 months old if the child is mine. Do I have to fill the info out for the child support services? How can they send me something if I never signed the childs (boy or girl, I dont even know) birth certificate? Dont they need to prove to me that I am the childs father. and also if I request a paternity test and if the child is mine, would I have to pay child support for the last 10 years eventhough I didn't know I had a child? Thank you very Much Please respond
You should not have to provide income and expense information until legal paternity has been established first. However, don't just ignore the request. You need to respond by hiring a lawyer to file the proper documents demanding a paternity test be done first. Some states/judges may require you pay cs from birth, others only from the time she filed for it. Consult with an attorney!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">