• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Son lied about age to get job

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

scipilot

What is the name of your state? California
My son recently landed is first job at a local convenience store. The problem is he is not quite 18 years old and lied about his age to get the job. The store does sell alcoholic beverages. Is he (or am I as the legal parent) subject to any type of legal repercussions? Thank you for your prompt reply, Sincerely, Tim

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

scipilot said:
What is the name of your state? California
My son recently landed is first job at a local convenience store. The problem is he is not quite 18 years old and lied about his age to get the job. The store does sell alcoholic beverages. Is he (or am I as the legal parent) subject to any type of legal repercussions? Thank you for your prompt reply, Sincerely, Tim

My response:

You're not. The worst that could happen to him is being fired. Under California law, an adult-minor (a person above 18, and below 21) is allowed to handle alcoholic beverages in a retail environment, and for the purpose of selling such beverages. But, like I said, and since he's 17, if the store checks him out later, he'll be fired.

IAAL

Beth3

Your son could well be fired and the store could be fined.

P.S. Lying to an employer on an application form or during an interview is a very foolish thing to do.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">