• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

my husband was let go

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

star42

What is the name of your state? VA

ok guys, first of all Hello :)
My question is can anything be done to my husbands former employer?
ON March 18th he put his 2 weeks in to go with a bigger and better company. On march 26th he was told not to come back on monday. He was told by a manager that they told him not to come back because the owners of the company found out he was going with their competitor. SO that leaves us with no pay for a whole week because he cant start his new job till the 4th of april. Can they let him go like that with out pay just because he is going with their competitor?

BelizeBreeze

Yes they can. In fact, they could have let him go the second he turned in his two-week notice or anytime before that. As long as he does not have a valid contract or union agreement, he is at-will.

Beth3

My question is can anything be done to my husbands former employer? No. Can they let him go like that with out pay just because he is going with their competitor? Of course.

Your husband resigned to go work for a competitor. In those circumstances, it is quite common to accept an employee's resignation immediately.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Depending on your state's law, it is possible (not definite, possible) that he might be eligible for unemployment for that week. In any case, it can do no harm to apply; the worst that can happen is that they say no.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">