• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can Pins be wrong?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Odie

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Iowa

My question is about survey lines. A new neighbor had a survey done on a vacant lot beside my property, along the back, and on the other side of my other neighbor. ( He has inherited land) There are 5 lots in a row and a lot running across the back; he has the first two lots, the land behind and the vacant lot beside me.

So he staked out his property and said that my shed is 9 inches on his land and move it. This shed had been there for many years. The issue I have is that I have a copy of a survey when I bought the place 3 years ago which has the dimensions of all the lots. Since he did not mark the line between me and the property on the other side of me, I just measured with a tape, assuming the pin he marked is correct. And measured the distance on the survey and came up with a location which did not seen right, as it would have come to the edge of my neighbor’s deck. Since there was a new a pin on the other side of my neighbor’s property, I measured his width, and it almost came to the edge of my deck!. They do not add up! I am out by 25 feet. The distance between our places.

Since The new neighbor identified the pins at the back corners of all the lots, I measured from them down to the front of the properties where he pin it, it appeared to be correct. I did not measure the distance across the back of the properties but the pins look old.

My question is: do servers just look for pins and call it good, or do they have other means of figuring out where the lines are? Why would my width measurement be out by 25 feet (and this guy is complaining about an old shed that is 9 inches over the line?)

Can the dimensions on the survey I have change with future surveys? Or should the dimensions still be the same? I know a measuring tape is not accurate, but out by 25 feet!

I heard about someone who had a survey done and found that the pins were in the wrong location.

Thanks.

HomeGuru

Odie said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Iowa

My question is about survey lines. A new neighbor had a survey done on a vacant lot beside my property, along the back, and on the other side of my other neighbor. ( He has inherited land) There are 5 lots in a row and a lot running across the back; he has the first two lots, the land behind and the vacant lot beside me.

So he staked out his property and said that my shed is 9 inches on his land and move it. This shed had been there for many years. The issue I have is that I have a copy of a survey when I bought the place 3 years ago which has the dimensions of all the lots. Since he did not mark the line between me and the property on the other side of me, I just measured with a tape, assuming the pin he marked is correct. And measured the distance on the survey and came up with a location which did not seen right, as it would have come to the edge of my neighbor’s deck. Since there was a new a pin on the other side of my neighbor’s property, I measured his width, and it almost came to the edge of my deck!. They do not add up! I am out by 25 feet. The distance between our places.

Since The new neighbor identified the pins at the back corners of all the lots, I measured from them down to the front of the properties where he pin it, it appeared to be correct. I did not measure the distance across the back of the properties but the pins look old.

My question is: do servers just look for pins and call it good, or do they have other means of figuring out where the lines are? Why would my width measurement be out by 25 feet (and this guy is complaining about an old shed that is 9 inches over the line?)

Can the dimensions on the survey I have change with future surveys? Or should the dimensions still be the same? I know a measuring tape is not accurate, but out by 25 feet!

I heard about someone who had a survey done and found that the pins were in the wrong location.

Thanks.
**A: surveyors have methods which do not include using the old pins as landmarks.

Odie

Thanks

So, Should I get another surveyor to verify these pins, or what? Can I dispute these lines? ( one side - to the vacant lot, we are talking 9 inches on a shed that has been there for a long time. ( I found a arial shot of the area from 1990, and you can see something is there). And on the other side, between me and the guy right beside me, there is some footage missing.

I am trying to find out who the surveyor was to ask him why the measurements dont add up. - Is it possible that the meaurements don't add up? ( what I have is - a copy of what is registered with the county.)

The wife is upset, as this is a place to go and relax ( its on a lake).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">