• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Contesting adoptions

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

prtgrl

What is the name of your state? Live in Pennsylvania, but adopted in Florida.

My wife and I adopted our daughter 4 months ago. The birthmother was a family member. Recently, the birth mother has been voicing regret at ever having gone through with the adoption and this makes us quite nervous. I was wondering if anyone could provide me with information regarding contested adoptions. Here's some more info.

1) The adoption was finalized.
2) Everything was legal and there was absolutely no coersion - they asked us to adopt!
3) We have every intention of nurturing any type of relationship that the birthmother and bio grandparents want as long as they respect our decisions regarding how we are going to bring our daughter up knowing she was adopted

Is there any way that the birthmother could change her mind and take legal action ? I would assume not because how could anyone in their right mind want to adopt? Thank you for any help

S

seniorjudge

prtgrl said:
What is the name of your state? Live in Pennsylvania, but adopted in Florida.

My wife and I adopted our daughter 4 months ago. The birthmother was a family member. Recently, the birth mother has been voicing regret at ever having gone through with the adoption and this makes us quite nervous. I was wondering if anyone could provide me with information regarding contested adoptions. Here's some more info.

1) The adoption was finalized.
2) Everything was legal and there was absolutely no coersion - they asked us to adopt!
3) We have every intention of nurturing any type of relationship that the birthmother and bio grandparents want as long as they respect our decisions regarding how we are going to bring our daughter up knowing she was adopted

Is there any way that the birthmother could change her mind and take legal action ? I would assume not because how could anyone in their right mind want to adopt? Thank you for any help
Q: Is there any way that the birthmother could change her mind and take legal action ?

A: Anyone can sue anyone else for anything anywhere. Whether birth ma will win or not is something nobody here can tell you. But you should ask your lawyer for reassurance.

prtgrl

Isn't there presedence for this sort of thing? I mean, does it ever happen in cases where everything was legal. The famous cases I've heard of were all cases in which there was some sort of legal glitch (i.e. father never had a chance to sign away his rights). Nothing even remotely similar here.

Thanks for the reply.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">