• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Redress For Bad Legal Representation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

hotmale3606

What is the name of your state Delaware. I was married for 18 years. Here in Delaware, you pay alimony for half of the length of the marriage, which, in my case would be 9 years. We were divorced in 1997, and I have been paying alimony through a wage attachment since then. Next year will be 9 years. I recently went to court on my own to file a motion to lower, or cease alimony payments. It now appears, contrary to my lawyers explanations to me, that, according to someone at the court, that I will be paying for the rest of my life. Now, my question is, do I have any recourse here in Delaware in the courts, or, do go after my lawyer, or law firm, if they refuse to rectify this situation? Thanks.

ENASNI

Umm

hotmale3606 said:
What is the name of your state Delaware. I was married for 18 years. Here in Delaware, you pay alimony for half of the length of the marriage, which, in my case would be 9 years. We were divorced in 1997, and I have been paying alimony through a wage attachment since then. Next year will be 9 years. I recently went to court on my own to file a motion to lower, or cease alimony payments. It now appears, contrary to my lawyers explanations to me, that, according to someone at the court, that I will be paying for the rest of my life. Now, my question is, do I have any recourse here in Delaware in the courts, or, do go after my lawyer, or law firm, if they refuse to rectify this situation? Thanks.
Sir... did you search the statutes yourself? I looked around and it looks what you initially were told by your lawyers was true... marriages under 20 years alimony is not to exceed 50% of the term of marriage.

You are getting nervous off something "someone at the court" told you... How do you know that someone wasn't a bitter ex-spouse...

Check with your lawyer... get the right paper work together... I think next year your alimony is over.

If nothing else I bumped this post up for you... If someone else knows more they will come behind me and call me a ninny or something worse... but I can take it...

hotmale3606

Alimony

Here's my problem. On the divorce decree where it states alimony responsibility, it does not give a specific end date. It states words to the effect, that the alimony will be paid until expires by decree of law, or husband, or wife expires. My employer needs a specific date to stop the wage attachment before they can proceed any further. Also, my lawyer does not want to reoresent me because of some past disagreements. So, I also probably need to get another lawyer to represent me in court to stop the alimony.

S

seniorjudge

hotmale3606 said:
Here's my problem. On the divorce decree where it states alimony responsibility, it does not give a specific end date. It states words to the effect, that the alimony will be paid until expires by decree of law, or husband, or wife expires. My employer needs a specific date to stop the wage attachment before they can proceed any further. Also, my lawyer does not want to reoresent me because of some past disagreements. So, I also probably need to get another lawyer to represent me in court to stop the alimony.
You need to get a lawyer and get it in writing from the court when and if your alimony ends.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">