• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fired

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

uknowusa

North Carolina. For over 2 years I kept notes on how disrespectful my boss was towards me. He told me on many occassions if he had had to hire me, I would never of been hired, and he would say this in front of other employees. He made a very nasty remark about a disabled student we had, which I wrote down, and in anger after making copies of all my notes gave them to the disabled student. I asked for them back, but never got them, and eventually forgot about them. The disabled student got locked inside the building and made a lot of noise. He had a meeting with my boss, the Dean and Regional Director, and gave them the notes. Before he had the meeting I had called our Human Resources Director and told them what I had done, and was told that I would not be fired. They were mainly about how he spoke to me, the remark about the disabled student, employees being late, nothing with private information on. I was told after that I had given proprietary information away, and was fired on the spot. In the time I worked there I never had a bad performance review, or anything negative on my record. Do I have a case or should I just give up?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Give up. North Carolina is an employment at will state, which means you can quit a job at any time and for any reason, and you can be fired at any time and for any reason that does not violate the law. Despite what many people think, it is not against the law to fire you in retaliation for reporting legal activity, and being rude is a legal activity. So EVEN IF you were fired because the other student gave your notes to the dean etc., that is not illegal.

Beth3

They were mainly about how he spoke to me, the remark about the disabled student, employees being late, nothing with private information on. So you have proof that your boss is a jerk, which is all you have. Yes, you should just give up. You have no legal claim to bring.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">