• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Help with international child support ?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sam59

What is the name of your state? TX
I used to live in TX. I was married there and had 1 child with my ex-wife and adopted my daughter. I am not a U.S citizen. Since moving back to the U.K I have paid child support. Not as much as I used to pay in the U.S. I always paid, even when I was un-employed. Recently my ex stopped me talking to the children, I put the child support aside in a separate account and told her when I had access to the children I would send the money on. My employer has now received paperwork to garnish my wages for the amount I used to pay in Houston. (This all happened when I missed 1 2 week payment !). I was wondering if anyone can advise where I stand legally. Can TX garnish my UK wages for the same amount I used to make in Houston, even though I make a lot less money now ?

Thank-you for any advice anyone can give me.

Sincerely

nextwife

And why didn't you file for a modification when your income dropped? Your move may or may not be a voluntary underemployment. If your visa status required your return, then you should be able to get a modification of the order if the wage scale is different there.

Last edited:

sam59

I understand adoptive parents are real parents, and I have no objection paying the child support. I was just trying to understand where I am legally. Am I bound by U.S law, U.K law. The move was voluntary on my part.

Thanks

Silverplum

The adoption comment is Nextwife's signature. It wasn't a direct comment AT you. :)

As far as the child support (CS) goes:
Do you have a court order (CO) to pay CS?
From TX?

If you have a CO and never modified it, then the amount ordered stands. You'd have to modify it to legally change the amount.

Custody/visitation and CS are two different things, legally. You can't withhold money in retaliation for visitation problems, and vice versa. Do you have a court order for the visitation/phone calls? If not, get one. If so, your remedy is to file contempt.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">