• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Challenge of Unemployment claim

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

UnemployedDan

Kansas.
When my state of Kansas company let me go my supervisor said that "Several companies at the conference have complained about your help. We're going to have to let you go." With that he handed me COBRA forms to sign. I wasn't overly surprised, I was the low man on the seniority totem pole and supposedly sales weren't strong. At the convention, which ended that day, I'm sure they heard many complaints about our buggy software as well as other support staff members who inadvertently (like me) gave them wrong advice at times.
I'm actually glad to be out of there. However, now they have challenged my unemployment claim. I am to talk to a representative via phone Thursday morning who will decide if I received the benefit or not.
I know they will say I failed to perform the tasks assigned to me to a satisfactory level. I will respond that I did the best I could for someone who was given virtually no training on a buggy software package that had No documentation with it. I also led our department in overtime (and have the forms to prove it.)
I never had any problem with absenteeism, tardiness, alcohol, drugs, attitude, or talking about inappropriate subjects. I never misused the company computers or resources.
On my February review I was told I was “below average” and was given a list of items to become more knowledgeable in. In April I was to be given a test on those items.
My questions are:
What should I tell the Kansas Department of Unemployment representative when they call Thursday morning?
Can they deny unemployment to someone if they didn't meet an unknown level of quality or because of the complaints from a few of our 500 plus customers?
Thank you and may the Lord bless you for the service you are rendering to so many.
UnemployedDan

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
What should I tell the Kansas Department of Unemployment representative when they call Thursday morning?

The truth as you perceive it to be.

Can they deny unemployment to someone if they didn't meet an unknown level of quality or because of the complaints from a few of our 500 plus customers?

What are valid reasons for denying unemployment varies with the state, and I have no experience with the UI board in Kansas. However, in most states with which I do have familiarity, it would depend upon whether or not your failure to meet the standard of quality was voluntary or involuntary, and on the specific nature of the complaints.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">