• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Neighbors Videotaped Us

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

77TK

PA
My parents' septic tank had problems. My dad pumped out the "gray" water (Non contaminated water) only, so he could get to the filter. He pumped the water out into his yard, over his sand mound. His neighbors videotaped what he did, without his knowing, from their home. They called the local municipality and had sewage officer come out. The officer didn't show picture ID, and my dad wouldn't let him on the property to see what he was doing. About 8 mos. later, they get fined, and are due in court. Was it legal for his neighbors to videotape him? Can they tape my 2yr olds when they are visiting?

77TK

Reply to JETX

PA

My dad was in his yard, and his neighbors videotaped from a window in their house. Their house sits about 18 feet higher than my parent's yard, and they installed a 6 ft fence about 15 ft from the property line, and my parents have a 6ft fence about 2 feet from the property line. They went above and beyond to tape what he was doing. They hid in their home, taped from a window 6-7 feet off the floor of their home, and had no reason to be taping, as they were not taping their own property. My parents' back room is very visible from the site they taped from. Do they have to at least notify them that they were taped? What if my children show up on an inappropriate website from being filmed without my consent in my parent's yard? Is that still legal? Thanks.

divgradcurl

If you dad was naked when he was dumping the water, then it would be invasion of privacy. See 18 Pa C.S. Ch. 75 § 7507.1 (Invasion of Privacy):

(a) Offense defined.--A person commits the offense of invasion of privacy if he knowingly views, photographs or films another person, without that person's knowledge and consent, while the person being viewed, photographed or filmed is in a state of full or partial nudity and is in a place where the person would have a reasonable expectation of privacy. A separate violation of this section shall occur:

for each victim viewed, photographed or filmed during the same course of conduct; or
if a victim is viewed, photographed or filmed on more than one occasion during a separate course of conduct either individually or otherwise.

A backyard, not visible from the street or other public thoroughfare, would likely be a place where someone would have a reasonable expectation of privacy -- but the law only applies if you are fully or partially naked, so your dad is out of luck.

EDIT: Actually, in PA, the backyard may not be a private place after all. According to the Pa C.S. section above:

"Place where a person would have a reasonable expectation of privacy." A location where a reasonable person would believe that he could disrobe in privacy, without being concerned that his undressing was being viewed, photographed or filmed by another.

Last edited:

JETX

77TK said:
PDo they have to at least notify them that they were taped?
Nope.

What if my children show up on an inappropriate website from being filmed without my consent in my parent's yard?
And how could any site that they 'show up' on be inappropriate??

Is that still legal?
That would depend on the site.... and what you have them doing!!! :eek:

BelizeBreeze

divgradcurl said:
If you dad was naked when he was dumping the water, then it would be invasion of privacy. See 18 Pa C.S. Ch. 75 § 7507.1 (Invasion of Privacy):

(a) Offense defined.--A person commits the offense of invasion of privacy if he knowingly views, photographs or films another person, without that person's knowledge and consent, while the person being viewed, photographed or filmed is in a state of full or partial nudity and is in a place where the person would have a reasonable expectation of privacy. A separate violation of this section shall occur:

for each victim viewed, photographed or filmed during the same course of conduct; or
if a victim is viewed, photographed or filmed on more than one occasion during a separate course of conduct either individually or otherwise.

A backyard, not visible from the street or other public thoroughfare, would likely be a place where someone would have a reasonable expectation of privacy -- but the law only applies if you are fully or partially naked, so your dad is out of luck.

EDIT: Actually, in PA, the backyard may not be a private place after all. According to the Pa C.S. section above:

"Place where a person would have a reasonable expectation of privacy." A location where a reasonable person would believe that he could disrobe in privacy, without being concerned that his undressing was being viewed, photographed or filmed by another.
And you knew this HOW???? :eek:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">