• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

An Arrest Record Without A Conviction

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

eri-boo

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?MN
I've recently started my job search and I'm wondering how or if I need to explain my first time felony theft arrest with a court dismal. If I have my file sealed will any potential company have a way of obtaining this information?

CdwJava

In most states, unless you are applying for jobs that require a security clearance or certain government positions (such as law enforcement or a related field) the employer cannot even ask you about an arrest - only convictions. Similarly, most states do not allow public access to criminal offender records.

However, court records tend to be public documents and these are often purchased and stored by background companies that charge prospective employers and organizations a fee to search their databases for this information. Thus it is always safe to assuem that the information will be out there. And if ti salready in the public domain for one reason or another, sealing it won't do any good as it will be out there.

Find out what the laws in MN are for answering the question of, "Have you been arrested?" And always be prepared to explain the arrest if later confronted ... or, to be certain it is not an issue, be up front about the arrest.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">