• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

wife gave-up custody, do I still owe?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Martin uk

What is the name of your state?
Nebraska
My ex-wife signed over custody of our daughter 3 years ago (to my mother, no less) without my knowledge.
I am currently looking at returning to the US, after being deported in 1998, and am wondering if I will be held responsible for the last 3 years child support.
Any help/advice appreciated!
Thanks,
Martin

bononos

Martin uk said:
What is the name of your state?
Nebraska
My ex-wife signed over custody of our daughter 3 years ago (to my mother, no less) without my knowledge.
I am currently looking at returning to the US, after being deported in 1998, and am wondering if I will be held responsible for the last 3 years child support.
Any help/advice appreciated!
Thanks,
Martin
Shouldn't you be concerned with the kid not the money?
And, yes you could very well be responsible.

Silverplum

It depends upon whether you have a court order to pay support.

And I am quite amazed that you have such little contact with your child or your mother that they could be living together and you'd have no idea. Good thing your mom is around to take care of your responsibilities. :(

the_destiny

Yes you have to pay back child support while still paying current child support to the new gaurdian (your mother) if she pushes the issue.

Martin uk

First of all i would just like to point out that you self righteous jerks have NO idea about the previous circumstances and situations that led to this state of affairs....Secondly until you do know the whole story i suggest that you keep your opinions and judgements to yourselves...i came here to ask a question and i get abuse...And just to clarify..i want custody of my daughter..i want to be the father and parent that i never had, and to help her through life and the situations that arise when dealing with arrogant inconsiderate know it all judgemental people. My mistakes led to a prison term...My ex wife got me deported and then absconded with my daughter..I WAS NEVER GIVEN A CHOICE...So when you want to post your assinine and completely useless posts try somewhere else. I would like to thank The Destiny though, your post answered my question and i appreciate that...Thank you

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">