• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Grandparent vs. Incarcerated Parent

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

grannyK

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? I am in Dallas, Texas.
My granddaughters other grandmother has custody here Texas because my granddaughter's mother is incarcerated in New Mexico. My son is her biological father and he is bounded to New Mexico because he is on probation. The other grandmother will not allow me to see my granddaughter. My son and her daughter were never married. My granddaughter has my sons last name. There is a child support suit going on right now here in Texas, however my son is not currently paying child support. I have tried to have an open communcation with the other grandparent and I buy her gifts and things on birthdays and holidays. I am a dialyis patient and would like to see my granddaughter on weekends when possible. I respect the situation the other grandmother is in as full time caregiver and I'm unable to care for my granddaughter full time or even commit to a regular schedule because of my health. My son is not doing as he should and he tells me he can't because he lives out of state and has no family there, has to pay for his meals, rent and restitution. My opinion is that his daughter is priority. However, due to circumstances beyond my control I am unable to force anyone to do anything. My son or the other grandmother. I think perhaps once the child support is finalized my son can request visitation for me. Do I have any legal recourse until then?

BL

Your son CAN NOT request Legal visitation for you , nor at this time it sounds he could either as he is " bound " to New Mexico .

Unless he can get permission for visitation himself , and he brings the child to you on his time , there's really nothing you can do .

grannyK

See original post: Grandparent vs. Incarcerated Parent

:confused: Texas.
Does anyone know what rights I have here in Tx. regarding visitation with my granddaughter regardless of my son's circumstances per my original post?
It sounds like I'm at the other grandmothers mercy until my son gets his act together. That's really unfortunate, disappointing and sad. All I want to do is spend some time with her. I don't have and have never had a confrontation or even words with the other grandmother or her mother. This is all done by simply avoiding me i.e. not returning my calls and/or not answering the phone when I know they should be home. This happens whenever my son and her daughter are not getting along. They take it out on me. I do get to see my granddaughter whenever my son comes to visit. But since he's on probation, those time are few and far between. Maybe once a year. I despise people using children as a weapon to hurt and punish others...Especially when I haven't done anything....Thanks for your time....

Kansas4me

Try writing a nice letter to the other grandma. Tell her you appreciate so much what she is doing since your son has failed on his responsibilites. She may be afraid you are going to try adn take the child away, so explain to her that because of your health and such that there is no way you could do what she is so you are very grateful she is there to do it. Let her know that you would like to be a part of the childs life and be able to talk or visit with the child, and would be open to any arrangment she would be willing to make.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">