• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

liability of property damage with search warrant

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Samuelsonphd

:confused: What is the name of your state? CO

What is the liability of police if there is property damage with a search warrant?

My husband and I came home from a weeks vacation to a phone message from the local sheriff's dept. that they had a search warrant for a house we own and rent out. The tennant had been arrested and was being transported to another state. ( He has a dx of Bipolar disorder and had threatened a PO in another state while on a phone call.) I think they were looking for weapons and/or drugs. I have knowledge that someone had already removed some daggers and some marijuana that had been growing in the house prior to the search.

Besides the wooden front door being torn down, the new oven (glass door) had been bashed in with glass scattered everywhere on the kitchen floor. The place was in shambles and the front door left wide open for several days after the search until we returned from our trip finding the message about the search of the rental property.

Is the sheriff's dept. responsible for covering the cost of the repairs? If so, how do we recover the costs of replacing and fixing the damages?

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">