• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Starting all over again............

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

martin5475

What is the name of your state?Ohio I am divorcing my abusive husband of 29 years. There are three children still at home. His income is around $30k a year. How much spousal support/alimony can I expect to get and for how long? I was a teacher, but stayed home to raise my kids and am also homeschooling them. I found out that I need to go back to college for 12 semester hours in order to be re-certified as a teacher. So I am wondering how long that will take if I am able to only work part time while I am also a student. The support will help me determine what I need to do- go back to school or find an hourly position. Is that also taken out in wage garnishments or does he pay directly? Our house and everything will be sold because we also have to declare bankruptcy. So I will basically have no assets at all except my old car......Thanks for the advice.

nextwife

After CS for three kids is taken out, I can't imagine how there could be much left for spousal support on a $30,000 year income. Odds are, it was barely enough to support all of you in ONE household. Now there will be two households. Whatever is left for spousal support is going to be minimal, so you will likely need to suppliment it with your own income.

LdiJ

martin5475 said:
What is the name of your state?Ohio I am divorcing my abusive husband of 29 years. There are three children still at home. His income is around $30k a year. How much spousal support/alimony can I expect to get and for how long? I was a teacher, but stayed home to raise my kids and am also homeschooling them. I found out that I need to go back to college for 12 semester hours in order to be re-certified as a teacher. So I am wondering how long that will take if I am able to only work part time while I am also a student. The support will help me determine what I need to do- go back to school or find an hourly position. Is that also taken out in wage garnishments or does he pay directly? Our house and everything will be sold because we also have to declare bankruptcy. So I will basically have no assets at all except my old car......Thanks for the advice.
I have to assume that if you were married for 29 years that your children aren't young. You are going to need to get a full time job and go to school part time, at night. I also agree with Nextwife that its unrealistic for you to expect to recieve any alimony. Child support for three kids will already make it very difficult for your ex to support himself. Of course, if your children are older than you are indicating you may not recieve child support...in which case alimony might be a possibility.

nextwife

LdiJ said:
I have to assume that if you were married for 29 years that your children aren't young.
You know what they say about assuming! Some families I know in the "geezer parent" community went childless for a couple decades before "taking the plunge" and having a family.

Others had a "second round" of kids when their first kids were teens/twenties. Actually, I know a number of families that had kids literally a couple decades after marrying. My husband's best friend is 20 years younger than his sis, my mom's oldest sibling is 25 years older than her youngest sibling. My hubby's oldest iS ALSO 25 YEARS OLDER THAN HIS YOUNGEST. My dad was 10 years younger than his brother, and his parents were married over ten years when brother was born. Our best friends had 11 years of marriage before having kids. I can name many parents I know who became parents after the mom was 40.

Anyway, there are more of us AARP parents out there than you'd quess!

Last edited:

martin5475

starting over again.....

Yep, I'm one of those 'old" geezers! My kids range in age from 25 down to 7. My husband will be paying child support for a 7, 10, and 14 years old. I was wanting to be able to still homeschool my kids and find some kind of work in the afternoons and evenings, if I am able to. But we will have to see.......

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">