• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

HOA Refuses to Repair Issues

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

socalcondo

undefinedWhat is the name of your state? CA

Moved into my first home/condo 10 months ago. So far:

- 7 months of sandbags along my patio bank of the property streams - floods into my patio and living room door - HOA refuses to put a larger flowpipe where the water backs up when it rains

- 2-1/2 months of water leaking through my kitchen wall due to rains because 5 attempts by inexperienced maintenance men can't figure it out

- 2 months of broken patio door due to maintenance men removing a tree next to my patio for my neighbors

- No repairs after numerous HOA meetings and their false promises to fix.

They require to mediate first. Then what? Will an attorney get these issues taken care of? Maybe a letter to shake their pants off? What do I do besides dream of setting this place on fire???!

Help me please before I go insane, along with everyone else in California who's had leaks and stubborn HOAs! :eek:

HomeGuru

socalcondo said:
undefinedWhat is the name of your state? CA

Moved into my first home/condo 10 months ago. So far:

- 7 months of sandbags along my patio bank of the property streams - floods into my patio and living room door - HOA refuses to put a larger flowpipe where the water backs up when it rains

- 2-1/2 months of water leaking through my kitchen wall due to rains because 5 attempts by inexperienced maintenance men can't figure it out

- 2 months of broken patio door due to maintenance men removing a tree next to my patio for my neighbors

- No repairs after numerous HOA meetings and their false promises to fix.

They require to mediate first. Then what? Will an attorney get these issues taken care of? Maybe a letter to shake their pants off? What do I do besides dream of setting this place on fire???!

Help me please before I go insane, along with everyone else in California who's had leaks and stubborn HOAs! :eek:
**A: don't set the place on fire cuz the flooding and water leaks will put it out.

socalcondo

LOL...
Another question: If they don't repair their damage from neglect and not taking responsibility to do the repairs, can my insurance company sue their insurance company? I've heard that they don't want anyone getting in touch with their insurance company, since they don't want them to know there are liabilities?

HomeGuru

socalcondo said:
LOL...
Another question: If they don't repair their damage from neglect and not taking responsibility to do the repairs, can my insurance company sue their insurance company?

**A: yes, and you can also sue the HOA.

I've heard that they don't want anyone getting in touch with their insurance company, since they don't want them to know there are liabilities?
**A: that's a load of crap. Your attorney can send the HOA insurance company request letters and if they do not comply sue them and demand copies of all documents via court order through discovery.

socalcondo

Ah, here's an update since my Demand Letter:
They have schedule the stream maintenance men to come out to estimate the repair and plans to place a larger flowpipe to stop the flooding. Bingo!

Next, they have schedule mainenance supv. to come out to evaluate the repair for my leak and balcony replacement.

I guess the Demand Letter and threat to take them to mediation got their attention. I'll keep you posted :cool:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">