• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My Neighbor Wants Me To Move Fence

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Mastalerz

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Rhode Island

Over a year ago my family and I moved into my current house. We had just moved from our apartment, where we had to walk the dogs on leashes. So we decided since we had a good piece of land to just build a fence, which is much easier than walking them. Now this is a tall wooden fence, I guess you can say standard size, not sure the actual height at the moment. Now upon putting it up we consulted both neighbors making sure they didn’t mind, which neither seemed to. Anyway, the first step included taking down an old existing chicken wire fence which the previous owners (an old woman) had put up for reasons unknown. We then put up our fence, which actually took up less space than the chicken wire fence, because we moved it more towards our property. Well anyway that spring/summer of the year we had moved in there were big thorny hedged on the property line mind you, that did not belong to us in my opinion that brushed our neighbors driveway every time they pulled in. This neighbor by the way is an old woman, and it’s not so much her who has the problem with us, its her daughter, who doesn’t even live there. Anyway they came over and complained about it to us, as if it was our problem or they were our hedges. Being the good neighbors we are we removed them (me and my family members who helped got poison ivy from it by the way). Anyway today I get a letter in from their lawyer telling us they had the land surveyed and how the southern part of this structure (the fence) protrudes 7 feet onto there property... Now I’m not sure if this is feet squared, because I went out and walked it tonight, and they still have the markers up from last year (shows how well they take care of there beloved property) and it seems for about 90% of the fence we actually have a foot or two to spare, but the very back of there property line apparently arches into our backyard. Now the back of our house is a hill, more like a cliff, which drops about 30 ft, then there is a cement factory. The very end of this property for both of us is just lots of weeds, sticks, leaves, piles of crap; skunks and possums hang out in it. There is no use for this land at all, which is actually where we ended our fence. In the letter they tell us how they want us to move it or they will get a court order for us to move it. Now this is cemented into the ground and will take lots of work to move it. So there has to be a solution to this problem that benefits me. But ill tell you now; if I am forced to move this fence then I am building a fence that completely covers all my property lines, taking as much land as possible. If they think they had a problem pulling into the driveway and getting out with some hedges in the way, lets see how easy it is when there is a big fence there. But I don’t see how these property lines are even possible. Maybe someone can help?

BelizeBreeze

Nothing in your post matters except the fact that a survey exists that shows the fence encroaches upon land that does not belong to you.

So, you have only two options: hire your own survey and then determine if you have to move the fence or not or; move the fence based on their survey.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">