• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Name Change in Foreign Adoption

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

[email protected]

What is the name of your state? WI

My wife kept her maiden name when we got married due to the fact that she was a teacher and it was easier professionally. We are now adopting a child from China and we really don't want to hyphenate her last name with both of our last names. The baby's name will sound better if we use my wife's last name, but I am wondering if there are any legal ramifications of not using my last name in the baby's last name.

Any advice would be appreciated!

nextwife

No. If you are both on the birth certificate as parents, you are both the legal parents - no matter what name your child has.

If you are changing the name her in WI following foriegn adoption, the process is really simple. We did our daughter's name change as part of her readoption here. In Milwaukee County, at least, there is a packet of materials needed to file available at Children's Court, which has jurisdiction over adoption. The cost is modest, under $10, I believe. If the adoption was final in foriegn court, and you are simply readopting in WI court to create a locally available "vital record", it is really one of those few legal matters that can easilly be done yourself. You are already the legal parent, so it is a really simple process. Our readoption, not counting the post placement home study was no more than $150 INCLUDING new birth certificates and Madison record filings.

WE incorporated the name change into the readoption. You would need a post placement home study (update of the home study you already provided the state).

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">