• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

RI State Tax Questions

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

keniz138

What is the name of your state?
Rhode Island

1. If I did not fill out a federal for 8396, can I claim this as an allowable federal credit on my state taxes? What's the deal with form 8396 anyway, re circumstances for use?

2. Line 18B on my state tax form asks about "2004 estimated tax payments and amount applied from 2003 return". At first, my inclination was to record the several hundred $$'s I paid in RI taxes on my return last year....but that did not seem right as this was already captured in my overall deduction based on my federal schedule A...what's up?

3. How do I know if i am eligible for the property tax relief credit mentioned on line 18c, talking about RI-1040H?

Snipes5

Are you eligible for this credit? If not, then no, you can't claim it. If you don't know whether you are eligible, you probably aren't. It's rather obscure, not used by the general population.

Estimated taxes have nothing to do with your withholding.

Do you own property in RI? To find out if you are eligible for that particular credit, read the instructions, they will tell you.

Snipes

tdavidl

on #2, your question is not asked as clearly as it could be, if i understand the question, you're asking if the balance you paid on your 2003 RI return in 2004 belongs on the estimated paid line (est taxes paid in 2004 & applied from 2003) ? NO, they do not belong anywhere on the RI return as taxes paid against your 2004 liability.

if you deducted them on schedule A of the federal return as state taxes paid in 2004, that is correct.

jJellybean

You do not need to own property to claim the property tax credit in RI.

Jelly

Snipes5 said:
Are you eligible for this credit? If not, then no, you can't claim it. If you don't know whether you are eligible, you probably aren't. It's rather obscure, not used by the general population.

Estimated taxes have nothing to do with your withholding.

Do you own property in RI? To find out if you are eligible for that particular credit, read the instructions, they will tell you.

Snipes

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">