• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

having hard times

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

firemyst

What is the name of your state? PA, but out of state case in GA
i'm a single mother of 4 kids. i have two daughters, 11, &10. they live with me. i have twin boys, who are 7. they live with their father. also know that my girls and sons have different fathers. my daughters father lives in GA, and my sons live with their dad across the state.
SInce my daughters father and i split(I have never been married), i have been fighting him to pay child support. when the support order was first established, he paid 40$ a month. then as time passed he had to get a better paying job. Finally in or about 1996 he moved to GA. he has never had a good record for paying support. he goes for about 6 months, then quits paying for several months. after calling domestic relation several times they finally find him and try to make him pay. in the last few years he has gotten far behind. i have called domestic relation in my state, and they told me there was nothing they could do because he lives in another state. FINALLY, they told me to file in his state, and then they (GA) would pursue him. well. it has been a year, and they have done nothing. when you have an out of state case, and you put a request in for information about the case you have to wait 6 weeks for the other state to reply.
i'm really struggling here. i recently lost my job because my work place burnt down. since my sons live with their father, i pay child support for them(mind you if i go a month without paying i am held in contempt) so unemployment hasn't been enough. i got another job, but until payday things are very tight.
i do live with my boyfreind, and he helps when he can, but he also pays support for his kids.
i'm so burnt out on trying to make ends meet, and fighting my daughters deadbeat to pay. he is now not paying, and is 6000$ behind. What do i do to enforce this?
Thank you!
FIremyst

firemyst

who wants to fight the system...

seems as though this is the same story over and over. deadbeats....something needs done. i'm sick of struggling because he doesn't want to pay. and because the judicial system doesn't want to help. this really pisses me off. if anyone wants to join together and try to fight for what belongs to our kids. 1 year of no support is to long, let alone 12+.

Phnx02

firemyst said:
What is the name of your state? PA, but out of state case in GA
i'm a single mother of 4 kids. i have two daughters, 11, &10. they live with me. i have twin boys, who are 7. they live with their father. also know that my girls and sons have different fathers. my daughters father lives in GA, and my sons live with their dad across the state.
SInce my daughters father and i split(I have never been married), i have been fighting him to pay child support. when the support order was first established, he paid 40$ a month. then as time passed he had to get a better paying job. Finally in or about 1996 he moved to GA. he has never had a good record for paying support. he goes for about 6 months, then quits paying for several months. after calling domestic relation several times they finally find him and try to make him pay. in the last few years he has gotten far behind. i have called domestic relation in my state, and they told me there was nothing they could do because he lives in another state. FINALLY, they told me to file in his state, and then they (GA) would pursue him. well. it has been a year, and they have done nothing. when you have an out of state case, and you put a request in for information about the case you have to wait 6 weeks for the other state to reply.
i'm really struggling here. i recently lost my job because my work place burnt down. since my sons live with their father, i pay child support for them(mind you if i go a month without paying i am held in contempt) so unemployment hasn't been enough. i got another job, but until payday things are very tight.
i do live with my boyfreind, and he helps when he can, but he also pays support for his kids.
i'm so burnt out on trying to make ends meet, and fighting my daughters deadbeat to pay. he is now not paying, and is 6000$ behind. What do i do to enforce this?
Thank you!
FIremyst
Certainly domestic relations can do something about it. Getting the guy to pay is another thing. Don't transfer the case to where your ex now lives! DR is possibly telling you this as a way to get you off their back so they won't have to keep trying to find the guy. This will cause more problems. Not only is it time-consuming because the new state has to file and re-record all kinds of info, but there's horror stories of papework just getting lost. Next, you will be put on the bottom of the list to pursue your case, and if there's ever a court hearing, it will be in his state = travel time and expenses for you. Finally, if he ever moves from that state, you will have to start all over again. Keep the case where it originated and be persistant.

firemyst

update on my case

PA...out of state case GA
i just talked to the office in GA, they told me they are suspending his license, and are actively pursuing this case. seems that my home state are the ones not pursuing this.
i'm wondering on them suspending his license. if the do this how will he get to work if he has no way to get there? please inform me on this action.
thank you
Rachel

nagol818

I live in PA and have a little experience with an out of state case. Others on here may be able to tell you more but I'll give you my 2 cents and hope that helps you a little.

My ex's license was suspended too for non-payment...by PA I may add. It took A LOT of arrears for this to finally happen but it was partially ignorance on my part because I didn't know they could suspend licenses to push the issue. DR doesn't care how they get to work...it's not yours or their problem but DR still expects him to get there, otherwise they will take further action eventually. Unfortunately, I have learned that I cannot depend on CS and it's a hard lesson that you are learning too. Sorry.

A little extra for you...I don't know what county you are in(i'm in Dauphin) but PA has an out of state division within DR. Get familiar with one person in that division. That person will get familiar with you and your case. Be a squeeky wheel. Any additional info you can get about your ex for DR be sure to call and tell right away.

Good luck!

abstract99

First of all.... If you start your sentences with a capital letter it is a lot easier to read. What can you do? It seems like you have done all that you can. Keep going to court and filing for contempt. His paychecks should be automatically deducted for the child support anyways so unless he is not working I don't see how he is not paying.

firemyst

newguyhere said:
His paychecks should be automatically deducted for the child support anyways so unless he is not working I don't see how he is not paying.
because he is not resposible. He has been trying to avoid paying since my oldest was a baby, and she is now 11. He is also getting away with it because domestic relations in my state has not been pursuing this like they should have been, and even with me calling them and bugging them it has not done anything. I had to call GA to get any answers. They informed me that they hardly ever hear from my state's domestic relations. That is how he is getting away with it. So, now i know i have to call GA to get any help.
i hope to get more answers very soon.

gamom34t

i think we should all go together and invent a new system applicable for all states. one that anyone with a job has be entered into. that way, all we have to do to locate any parent who owes is punch in their social... voila! auto-deduct! and if the states already have something like this, why is it so difficult for them to use it???

rmet4nzkx

Why does the father of your twin sons have custody?
Have you thought to file in your state to modify child support based on change in circumstances? Do you get medicaid for your girls?

firemyst

its personal reasons that my sons live with thier father. I have already tried to have my support order modified. They won't do it. In fact when my sons are here with me during the summer months I still have to pay support because Domestic Relations told me its not possible for them to suspend my case until my sons return to their father. I have my sons from june until they go back to school in late August. seems kinda strange to me.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
firemyst said:
its personal reasons that my sons live with thier father. I have already tried to have my support order modified. They won't do it. In fact when my sons are here with me during the summer months I still have to pay support because Domestic Relations told me its not possible for them to suspend my case until my sons return to their father. I have my sons from june until they go back to school in late August. seems kinda strange to me.
The reason for this is that the support obligation is actually a YEARLY amount, broken down to 12 equal payments for convenience. Technically, you could pay a slightly higher amount for 10 months instead, but it becomes a logistical nightmare.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">