• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Expedited Child support Hearing Tomorrow- need answers

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

onmytime

What is the name of your state? AZ.

My ex and I are battling over child support and who will be responsible for medical insurance.
Daycare:
He says that I can find a cheaper daycare which will lower how much he will have to pay. I will be paying $860 a month for daycare. I visited over 10 daycares and this is the one I felt was the best and I would feel comfortable with. I invited him to visit daycares with me and he said I could do it on my own. So I did. I selected the daycare based on location, their hours (they stay open later so that allows me time to get through traffice w/o being late), staff, cleanliness, etc. And this daycare is only about $170 more than the other daycares, which I don't think is a significant difference when it comes to what is best for our son.

Medical Insurance:
Both my son's father and I have our son on our medical insurance. When our son was first born he was on his father's insurance. But each time I visited the doctor they were unable to put the information through and asked me for other insurance. I would then call my son's father and he would call back to say he took care of the probolem each time. I decided taking our son should not be a headache and started using my insurance (no problems since!). Besides I am the one who always takes our son to the doctor (and YES I have asked him each time our son has an appt if dad would like to go or if he wanted to take him. He says no). Of course I don't have a problem with our son being on his dad's insurance. I think it is a good idea to have both just in case. However, I would like for it to be stated that I will be responsible for the medical insurance.

We have an expedited child support hearing tomorrow and I am curious to know:

1. Will I be forced to look for "cheaper" daycare?
2. Does my child's father have a say in what daycare our son goes to (based on cost) if he lives almost an 45 mins away (an hour in traffic) and will not be picking him up or dropping him off? (I prefer this daycare because they stay open until 6:30 PM, the other daycares in the area close at 6:00 PM and my parents would be able to pick him up if necessary or emergency)
3. How does the court determine which parent will be responsible for medical insurance?

LdiJ

onmytime said:
1. Will I be forced to look for "cheaper" daycare?
Possibly....or you may be able to use the daycare you want to use but have to pay the whole 170.00 difference yourself....or the judge might agree with you. I don't think there is a definative answer to that one.

2. Does my child's father have a say in what daycare our son goes to (based on cost) if he lives almost an 45 mins away (an hour in traffic) and will not be picking him up or dropping him off? (I prefer this daycare because they stay open until 6:30 PM, the other daycares in the area close at 6:00 PM and my parents would be able to pick him up if necessary or emergency)
See my answer above...but yes, normally as the child's father he has "say". "Say" however doesn't mean veto power.

3. How does the court determine which parent will be responsible for medical insurance?
Generally the parent who has the most cost effective medical insurance available is the one who is ordered to provide it. When both parents have it they are both generally given credit for having it in the child support calculation. You can certainly continue to provide and use your insurance even if he is the one ordered to provide it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">