• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do I have a case or am I just screwed?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cstenson

What is the name of your state?KY, but job in OH

I was hired by a national DIY store chain on 3/1/05. During the interview I told the HR mgr that I can only work days during the week, but weekends are unlimited, and in the fall I will only be able to work part-time. She told me that was perfectly acceptable and she would be happy to work with my schedule. She said that officially, I would be part-time, but working full-time hours until fall. She had me attend a 2 day paid orientation at another store on 3/12 & 3/13. She told me to expect a call on 3/14 to set up a training schedule.
By 3/15 no one had called, so I called them. I was told the mgr was in a meeting and would call me back. By 3/17, no call so I called them again. I was told the HR mgr was transferred to a different store and the new one would call me back that afternoon. No call. On 3/18, I called the store I took the orientation at and spoke with their mgr who contacted the HR mgr at my store. She told me to call the special svcs desk (where I was to be working) at 9am on 3/21 to set up the schedule.
That supervisor proceeded to tell me that my schedule was too restrictive and she would not be able to work with me, so she transferred me to the store mgr. The store mgr told me he was not going to get involved and would have the new HR mgr call me back by 10am. No call.
Today is 3/30. This is how I am feeling now:
1. I quit looking for work & even turned down other jobs because I had been promised a job (& accepted) by this company.
2. I have NOT BEEN PAID for the orientation.
3. A month has been lost (& wasted). No paycheck for a month now.
4. Now I have to start looking for another job.

I want to make it very clear that I have not been told (in any manner whatsoever) that I was fired. I was made a promise of employment, and they have failed to carry through that promise. The person that told me she could not work with my schedule (according to the associate manual) does NOT have the authority to hire/fire, etc.

Last edited:

ENASNI

Sorry

Sorry Mr Stenson...
You have been screwed over..

Get back out there and start pounding the beat...and Good luck.

Beth3

Unfortunately, I have to agree. Yes, you're screwed. If the employer subsequently determined that they could not work with your schedule, then that's that.

Whether you have to be paid for the two days of orientation depends on some factors we can't evaluate here. You can call your State DOL and inquire. If they do have to pay you, then you can file a complaint with the State.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">