• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ncic

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state?Montana Does a warrant have to be updated in the NCIC every so often, or does it just stay there till the subject is caught? or turns themselves in? Carl would like your answer please, Thank You

Last edited:

fedcop110

In VA, every month the agency that enters the warrant into the NCIC gets a report from the state police informing the agency which entries to verify. If the agency inputs 6000 entries (including wanted persons) they may recieve notice to verify 200-300 entries every month. All that the agency does is check with the investigating officer/case files and makes sure that the suspect has not been served with the warrant. If the warrant has not been served, the warrant will remain in the NCIC. If the warrant has been served, the entry will be canceled. This applies to all entries (i.e. stolen property, wanted persons, etc.) Hope this helps.

CdwJava

shopgirl57 said:
What is the name of your state?Montana Does a warrant have to be updated in the NCIC every so often, or does it just stay there till the subject is caught? or turns themselves in? Carl would like your answer please, Thank You
NCIC policy requires periodic updates as Fedcop mentioned. If no response is received to continue the warrant, the warrant may be purged from NCIC though still active.

I would have to review my NCIC manuals to get the definitive answer, but in general, a warrant will remain until served or withdrawn by the issuing agency.

- Carl

S

seniorjudge

shopgirl57 said:
Standard answer on statute of limitations:

The statutes on limitations is, among other things, a statute telling the government how long it has to file a criminal charge. It stops running the day the charge is filed.

This is not a game of tag where, if you can keep from getting caught, you are home free.

Some states and jurisdictions will pull old warrants after awhile; some states and jurisdictions keep warrants active forever.

My best advice: surrender.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">