• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Government Assistance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

hello,
My wife and I are trying to help our niece and we just found out some information that does not sound right to me.

First of all she is married and has a child by a former husband. Where we come into the situations is trying to locate her former husband. This message board gave us information that has put our niece in the directions to obtaining information about the ware abouts of her ex.

Our grandniece is married to a guy that works for a company and they have four children in their care. Three from the guy's previous relationship and one child that recently had together. Our grandniece is 19 years old.

The disturbing information is this: We were told by her mother today that her daughter which is our grandniece that she gets government assistance. She was reluctant to tell us what kind of assistance probably because she already knows we would not like that.

Our niece was still getting child support for her daughter until he moved, but by their divorce agreement she is still able to receive child support.

My question to this board is this: How can our grandniece be getting assistance? Is this legal?

Phnx02

Gene & Lee said:
hello,
My wife and I are trying to help our niece and we just found out some information that does not sound right to me.

First of all she is married and has a child by a former husband. Where we come into the situations is trying to locate her former husband. This message board gave us information that has put our niece in the directions to obtaining information about the ware abouts of her ex.

Our grandniece is married to a guy that works for a company and they have four children in their care. Three from the guy's previous relationship and one child that recently had together. Our grandniece is 19 years old.

The disturbing information is this: We were told by her mother today that her daughter which is our grandniece that she gets government assistance. She was reluctant to tell us what kind of assistance probably because she already knows we would not like that.

Our niece was still getting child support for her daughter until he moved, but by their divorce agreement she is still able to receive child support.

My question to this board is this: How can our grandniece be getting assistance? Is this legal?
What's disturbing is your grandniece is only 19, on her 2nd marriage, and caring for 4 children.....3 of which are not even hers! That aside, someone can collect child support and state assistance at the same time. Whether she's doing this legally or not is to be determined. Even with a monthly cs payment, if she's still poor enough to qualify for state assistance, she can collect both. Her state assistance will be reduced/offset by the amount she recieves in cs.

For example, if she recieves $100 a month in child support, and this is her only income, then she can still qualify for a cash benefit up to the state's maximum welfare guidelines for the difference. If the state maximum is $300 - then she gets to collect $200 from the state. She could also qualify for food stamps, housing, and medical assistance.

Phnx02

Forgot to add.......when determining state assistance, they will also take into account the income of other people living in the home. If combined earnings/income exceeds the state maxuimum to recieve benefits, she will not qualify for anything.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">