• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Boss of different race dings me for things other employees get away with!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Ahutchga1972

What is the name of your state?GA

I work retail for a large dept. store. My current supervisor has been at the store a long time, even longer then the store manager. I worked with supv. in a different dept. in that store earlier this year, and noticed that same-race employees were part of her "possee," included in groups, and generally had a cliquish environment. Since I was exceeding sales and credit goals, supv. could find little fault with me, so I didn't mind not being part of the "in crowd."

Flash forward to a new dept., which I was placed in by (same race) store manager, over supervisor's head. Once again I'm a minority in her dept. All of a sudden she speaks to me in a militaristic manner, calls me to her office to chastise for the littlest things, but same-race employees who commit the same counting mistakes do not get this treatment. I report the same counting numbers as other employees (have to verify merchandise and so far my mistake #s have been high but similiar to what's been reported by other co-workers).

When in public, supervisor's got this bright cheery smile on as she greets people, including me. But I chanced to see her in the executive office the other day. Wished her a good evening. She looked right at me and made an angry face.

I guess what I'm saying is I can't seem to do anything right for this woman. She's the store manager's right hand, so I don't know what good complaing will do. I was one of the top sellers in the store for the past quarter, and now I've become someone who hates to get up in the morning to go to work and face this woman. She's outlasted 2 different store managers, so I doubt I can just outwait her.

My attendence is excellent. Never been absent, and have gone home early only 2x.

I get this feeling that she'd rather someone else was in my position. Maybe another same-race employee. I don't know. But I get the feelign she doesn't want me there.

Does this make any sense? Even if I don't have a legal leg to stand on, thanks for listening!

ENASNI

Well

I believe what you are gonna hear here.. (and I am not the one of the ones in the know... but I will give you something to chew on, till they come.)

Okay what you are gonna here is that you don't have a legal leg to stand on.
If you are denied. certain promotions, or terminated based on race alone. and it is blatantly said... then there is a case for a case.

It sounds awful.. but icky boss yeah... case of discrimination... uh uh..

Sorry Hutch...
But... others will come behind me and call me a ninny or something else if I am wrong... at least I bumped you up, eh? ;)

Ahutchga1972

Thanks

Thanks Enasi,

I didn't think there was a leg to stand on either. I wish I had an option besides to quit though. I really enjoy what I do, but it sours around her.

I promised DH that if I DO quit, I won't leave the family in the lurch. That I'll find something to keep the family going until I find a really good job.

Although the thought of sitting on a beach sounds really tempting!
:)

Thanks again for bumping me up.

ENASNI

hey

If I had a dollar for every time I wanted to quit my job...and I have a gem of a boss and nothing to complain about...

Well.. Lets just say I would trump Trump in the money department.... and still have better hair! (But heck... who wouldn't... what is up with that?)

Good Luck!

Beth3

Since her Jekyll & Hyde personality only evidences itself in private, how do you know she's not as cranky in private with your co-workers as she is with you? She could be chastizing them for errors when she's alone with other employees the same way she does with you.

Even if it is just you and even if it is because of your race, in my opinion you don't have a claim to bring. The boss may be more critical and isn't very friendly but you haven't suffered any adverse employment action because of your race. i.e. you haven't been disciplined, you haven't been fired, they haven't failed to promote you, etc.

If you do believe you are being treated less favorably because of your race, then the law generally requires that you make an internal complaint and allow your employer an opportunity to investigate and address the problem if they determine prohibited harassment/discrimination is taking place. If the discrimination continues, then an employee may make a complaint to your State's equal rights division or the EEOC.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">