• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How do I get a copy of my original Birth Certificate?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jbirdy1973

What is the name of your state? Arkansas

I was born to an unwed mother in Shawnee, OK who gave me the name of my birth father. I have never had contact with this man, but have been with my mother all my life and know who he is and where he is. I just choose not to have contact. Where my problem gets complicated is I have been adopted by my mother's first husband and then by her second husband. This means I have three different birth certificates at the office of vital statistics. I have copies of the last two, but now I found out that there is some money held for me in my birth name and as proof that I am who I am I need a copy of the original birth certificate. How do I get that? I was told by someone at the Vital Statistics office that I would need a court order, but no attorney I've spoken with so far knows what needs to be done. A lady at the judges office told me to send a letter explaining my situation and the judge would send me a copy. That was over two months ago, and I have not heard anything. It's not a lot of money so I don't want to use up all of it in attorney's fees. Can someone help me? Thanks for any help you can give.

jbirdy1973

Thanks for the reply! I didn't expect something so quickly! My problem is that I live in Arkansas but was born in Oklahoma, so the search for birth certificates in Arkansas didn't help. Thanks anyway, I appreciate it!! :)

prplfaerie68

Similar birth certificate problem

Apparently about a month after i was born my mother changed my last name on my birth certificate to my fathers last name and never told anyone. she used copies of my original birth certificate(her last name) for everything. my S.S card, school records, I.D, employment records all say my mothers last name. i didnt even find out about this until my twenties when i lost my birth certificate and got a new one (which says my fathers last name). i plan on staying with the name ive gone by my whole life. So my question is, does that original certificate exsist? do i have to legally change my name? since its not a mis spelling or anything like that ive been told i cant just have a correction done. please help. i was born in new york, but have been living in new jersey for the last 5 years if that helps

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">