• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Background check after 13 years..Legal?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

teepee

What is the name of your state?Maine
Can my employer fire me for a felony conviction that happened during the start of employment 13 years ago. I am a top performing Manager, first in sales, first in financial gains, I train managers, I have never had a write up.
I just had a performance review from my district manager and it was glowing. They want me to be a district manager too. When this background check comes back, I think I may be fired.Is this legal? Do I have recourse? My felony charge was for taking a fire arm out of a car when I was 18. I turned myself in 2 days after I took it. I had been drinking that night and didnt know what I was doing. No one had even realized that the gun was gone until I turned myself in. Stupid I know.Regret it I do. Sooo........

Beth3

Yes, they could terminate you but it sounds unlikely. You've had a stellar record with this company and want to promote you. They're sure not looking for a reason to terminate you. I expect most people completely understand doing something stupid when you're 18 as well.

Rather than continue to agonize over this, why don't you just go see your manager and tell him what the criminal check is going to show and explain the circumstances. Hopefully he'll assure you that you have nothing to worry about.

Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">