• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Signing Rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lizziemarcus

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?TX
My boyfriend, the father of the child, is trying to sign his rights over to his daughter. The mother is a lot of trouble. She has keyed my car, got him thrown in jail numerous times, drives by our house all the time, calls our phone all the time. She is pregnant again by another man. She wants him to sign his rights over as well. We cannot afford a lawyer and need advice on how to do this procedure. Please Help!

Phnx02

lizziemarcus said:
My boyfriend, the father of the child, is trying to sign his rights over to his daughter. The mother is a lot of trouble. She has keyed my car, got him thrown in jail numerous times, drives by our house all the time, calls our phone all the time. She is pregnant again by another man. She wants him to sign his rights over as well. We cannot afford a lawyer and need advice on how to do this procedure. Please Help!
What kind of uneducated, hillbilly TX town are you living in? Your boyfriend cannot transfer his parental duties over to his own daughter! Is she the legal parent of this child? How old is she? Sounds like you're in a mess of trouble by sleeping with a married man, or a man that hasn't been truthful and faithful to his wife/G/F and mother of his other children and she is just a little pissed about the situation. Get your personal quirks figured out first!

lizziemarcus

First of all, they were never married. I would never sleep with a married man, so I don't know what kind of hillbilly you are to think that. She is just crazy and wants him back and that is why she harrasses us. He tries to see his child but her parents won't let her. By the way, I meant he wants to sign the rights over to the mother not the child, and the mother also wants him to sign his rights too.

brisgirl825

You can't terminate rights w/o a step-parent willing to take over those responsibilities. They do that for several reasons...so the child isn't fatherless and to keep NCPs from trying to get out of their duties to the child just to name a couple.

Sounds like you should take her to court. And if I were in your shoes I'd have to wonder if I would want to be with a man who would so easily throw his child away. He needs to be an adult and deal with this like a man.

Sarah

genivieve

lizziemarcus said:
Usually this is not possible unless the mother has found a man to adopt the child. I will tell you that if both parents come to mediation and WANT the father's right terminated along with support it is possible..... BUT many judges frown upon this. Both parents would have to go to court. The mother would have to state she no longer wants ANY support or have the child visit with the father. Lawyers draw this material up and it is signed by both parents then remitted to the court. But the little catch is, if the mother should go on some type of public assistance then it is a free for all and they can collect support from the father regardless. Your boyfriend better make damn well sure this is what he wants. Say five years down the road he get a little remorse and decides he want visitation, FORGET IT. Now I'm sure there are a few people on this board that will say termination of rights/support is impossible and illegal, but my lawyer has done it several times over the years and the courts do accept it. I don't think most of these cases including my BF just went up and applied for termination. This all came about during bad custody or support battles. And I do live in a state where a father cannot terminate his rights unless the child is adopted.

lizziemarcus

She wants him to sign his rights and so he says he will. If you only knew this girl, you would understand. It's not the money he is worried about. He doesn't have a problem giving her money. It's dealing with her that is the problem. The mother and her parents have only let him see the child a few times, so she doesn't really know who he is. She is just the type of person that doesn't want to accept that he has moved on after all the things she has done to him. She is 20 and pregnant again and doesn't know who the father is. He is thinking that her parents might have custody of the child. And her parents hate him. She is one of those that if you don't want to be with her then you can't see your child. She has given him until Monday to tell her whether or not he is signing his riights but we can't afford a lawyer. She is begging him to do it. She wanted him to sign a piece of paper in front of her saying he wants to sign over his rights, but we told her no cause we don't see how that could possibly work.

AHA

lizziemarcus said:
She wants him to sign his rights and so he says he will. If you only knew this girl, you would understand. It's not the money he is worried about. He doesn't have a problem giving her money. It's dealing with her that is the problem. The mother and her parents have only let him see the child a few times, so she doesn't really know who he is. She is just the type of person that doesn't want to accept that he has moved on after all the things she has done to him. She is 20 and pregnant again and doesn't know who the father is. He is thinking that her parents might have custody of the child. And her parents hate him. She is one of those that if you don't want to be with her then you can't see your child. She has given him until Monday to tell her whether or not he is signing his riights but we can't afford a lawyer. She is begging him to do it. She wanted him to sign a piece of paper in front of her saying he wants to sign over his rights, but we told her no cause we don't see how that could possibly work.
What you want and what you can have will not necessarily go hand in hand. It does not matter how much the mother wants his rights terminated, it's not up to her or your hubby to make that happen. You have been given the answer to what your hubby can and can't do, so read the replies again and get a lawyer so your hubby can get access to his child. The child is a living human being, not some piece of furniture, so don't be selfish and make the kid pay the highest price just because YOU can't stand it's mother. That's not a good enough reason to encourage your hubby to shun his own flesh and blood. You both should be ashamed, how can you want to do this to an innocent child????? It's frightening what kind of "adults" are out there, no wonder thousands of kids get totally messed up before they even learn how to walk!!!

lizziemarcus

AHA said:
What you want and what you can have will not necessarily go hand in hand. It does not matter how much the mother wants his rights terminated, it's not up to her or your hubby to make that happen. You have been given the answer to what your hubby can and can't do, so read the replies again and get a lawyer so your hubby can get access to his child. The child is a living human being, not some piece of furniture, so don't be selfish and make the kid pay the highest price just because YOU can't stand it's mother. That's not a good enough reason to encourage your hubby to shun his own flesh and blood. You both should be ashamed, how can you want to do this to an innocent child????? It's frightening what kind of "adults" are out there, no wonder thousands of kids get totally messed up before they even learn how to walk!!!
I'm not asking him to sign his rights. She is. It is true that I can't stand her, but I never asked or told him to sign anything. You would have to know the girl to understand where I come from. I am just trying to help him get help with his decision to do so. There's a lot to the story that you would have to know to make the comments that you made. And you aren't in his or my shoes.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">