• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

wondering if i still need to pay

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

robin carriere

What is the name of your state?NY I currently have a order of child support that i am paying. My son is 19 and just dropped out of colledge. He is currently living with my sister. Can i have the child support stopped?

brisgirl825

It really depends on the court order. I think the typical orders are written to pay until 21 as long as the child is in school. You should get your lawyer to look at it and if you can stop paying support, the lawyer will have to petition the judge. Otherwise you could be in contempt if you just stop payments on your own.

Sarah

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
You'd need to see what constitutes an emancipating event in NY. Looking at my order (from NY), it states thatemancipation is defined as one of the following:

• Reaching age of 21
  • Death of the child
  • Entry into the Armed Forces
  • Marriage
  • Such other emancipating event as defined and determined under the laws of the state of NY
  • Permanent residence away from the home of the CP (residence at boarding school, camp or college not inclusive)
  • engaging in full time employment (not including employment during summer/vacations).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">