• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

check deception/warrant

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

SOAPman

What is the name of your state? Indiana

Here's the deal. I passed a couple of bad checks in Georgia while I lived down there. I moved back to Indiana about a year later. I actually have a couple questions that I have not been successful in getting answered so far. I need to find these things out because I really want to take care of these things.

1) How do I find out if I have any warrants in Georgia?
2) If so, is there anything I can do to take care of them from here?
3) If there warrants and I was to go down and turn myself in, would I be looking at jail time aside from waiting for court?

I would greatly appreciate any help.

JETX

SOAPman said:
How do I find out if I have any warrants in Georgia?
There are several possible ways, including:
1) Contacting the local PD or sheriff in that county.
2) Doing an online 'background check' on yourself.
3) Hiring a local (GA) PI to investigate.
4) Hiring a local (GA) attorney to investigate and negotiate a resolution to the problem.

If so, is there anything I can do to take care of them from here?
No.

If there warrants and I was to go down and turn myself in, would I be looking at jail time aside from waiting for court?
No one can answer that. See option #4 above.

SOAPman

I've heard people talking about a statute of limitations. What is that?

Also, if a company never turned my checks over to the courts, is there a time limit to when they can?

And, do the courts ever throw out misdemeanor warrants after so long?

JETX

SOAPman said:
I've heard people talking about a statute of limitations. What is that?
The Statute of Limitations (SOL) is the state set statutory limit on actions. Once the SOL has expired on a debt it is no longer legally enforceable.

Also, if a company never turned my checks over to the courts, is there a time limit to when they can?
Yes, per the UCC (Uniform Commercial Code) a bank can refuse to accept a check that is over 180 days old... unless a shorter time is specified.

And, do the courts ever throw out misdemeanor warrants after so long?
No. Criminal warrants don't 'expire'.... until you do, or you submit yourself to the court and the prosecution decides not to.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">