• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Failure to file federal income tax 1987, and 1990

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

TWBoats

What is the name of your state? Virginia. In December of 2002 I received a notice from the Federal Internal Revenue Service indicating that their records indicated that I did not file an individual tax return for the years 1987, and 1990.
They are correct, I did not file a return for those years. The notice also lists the penalties and interest applied to that date. In an act of pure procrastination, I did nothing about said notice, and have heard nothing further from the IRS since other than to keep any tax refund that was filed for after that date. This year, when I filed electronically, I received a refund check!
I would certainly like to settle things with the IRS, however, I would like to know if there is some sort of statute of limitation that may apply as to how long they can pursue under these circumstances. If there is no such statute then I know how I must proceed, but your advice would be most welcome.

LdiJ

TWBoats said:
What is the name of your state? Virginia. In December of 2002 I received a notice from the Federal Internal Revenue Service indicating that their records indicated that I did not file an individual tax return for the years 1987, and 1990.
They are correct, I did not file a return for those years. The notice also lists the penalties and interest applied to that date. In an act of pure procrastination, I did nothing about said notice, and have heard nothing further from the IRS since other than to keep any tax refund that was filed for after that date. This year, when I filed electronically, I received a refund check!
I would certainly like to settle things with the IRS, however, I would like to know if there is some sort of statute of limitation that may apply as to how long they can pursue under these circumstances. If there is no such statute then I know how I must proceed, but your advice would be most welcome.
Would you have had a refund in those years? Or would you have owed taxes?

TWBoats

LdiJ - I most certainly would have owed taxes for those two years.

Snipes5 - Thanks for the advice, I most certainly appreciate it.

All - How likely is it that the IRS might be willing to settle for the taxes owed, and forgive the penalties and interest?? Total tax owed for the two years appears to be approximately $5200.00.

LdiJ

TWBoats said:
LdiJ - I most certainly would have owed taxes for those two years.

Snipes5 - Thanks for the advice, I most certainly appreciate it.

All - How likely is it that the IRS might be willing to settle for the taxes owed, and forgive the penalties and interest?? Total tax owed for the two years appears to be approximately $5200.00.
Hard to tell....you most likely need to file the returns and then try for an "offer in compromise".

Do a search for "offer in compromise" at www.irs.gov for more information.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">