• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

hostile work enviroment-wrongful termination

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nohname

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?

In a hostile silent engineering office atmosphere where no help is supplied and then complained about when I asked question, never offering training and finally complaining that I didn't fit in after several months and fired me saying everyone disliked me even though no one said anything to my face. It was implied they were complaining. My boss had no problems, but the other one who I had never spent any time with fired me, while mine was unavailable. The whole thing smells to me. :mad:

Beth3

Hostile work environment is limited to situations where there is a pervasive atmosphere of discrimination because of an employee's (or group of employees') membership in a protected class: age, race, gender, national origin, religion, etc. What you describe, while unpleasant, is not a HWE nor was a wrongful termination.

nohname

Unpleasant is an understatement. Cut throat would be closer. I guess even though everyone seemed very nice, they really were not. :mad:

Beth3

Sometimes you just don't know until you get on board and see what the day-to-day is like. Same goes from the employer's perspective. That lovely person you thought you hired turned into the employee from hell after a couple of months on the job. :eek:

nohname

But threatening to fire and appologizing, then leaving town and allowing another to fire me for no reason does make sense... :mad:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
The issue is not whether it makes sense. The issue is not even whether it is unfair. The only issue is whether or not it is illegal. And on the basis of what you have posted, it is not.

Beth3

How could it be illegal other than discrimination? A partial list includes retaliation for taking FMLA leave, or for filing a WC claim, or for making a good faith complaint to a government agency such as OSHA or the EPA, or for engaging in concerted activities as defined in the NLRA (i.e. pro-union activities), and several other things I can't think of right now because it's early yet. What I can tell you is that none of them appear to apply in your situation.

It might also be money related. What does that mean?

nohname

Basically I was used and tossed asside while being rude to the entire time I was there. Now the job is reposted rewritten to exclude me. I know it wasn't fair, but it doesn't seem right....

BelizeBreeze

nohname said:
Basically I was used and tossed asside while being rude to the entire time I was there. Now the job is reposted rewritten to exclude me. I know it wasn't fair, but it doesn't seem right....
so the hell what? first off, you DELETED the state so no answer is correct. second, you haven't even come close to the definition of hostile work environment.

What you DO have is a case of 'no one cares' because you have no legal grounds to do anything. :rolleyes:

francine89

Environment-wrongful Termination

nohname said:
Talk about provocation, it's unbelievable what people can get away with, but they really did you a favor, they sound like a bunch of idiots. When people act in such a matter as your described, it's bad from the get-go, move on and thank God your out of there. I'm sure you'll find plenty of jobs where they will appreciate you, but make sure you analize the people carefully on your next interview and ask practical questions to make sure your not getting into another predictment. Good luck

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">