• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do siblings have rights?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Sad_big_sister

What is the name of your state? Arkansas but I need a Missouri law question. My mother and step dad were married for 7 1/2 years and they had 5 kids together ages 19,16, 14, and a set of twins 12. He or should I say his new wife refuses to let me even see them. The thing is I have 2 sons who wants to get to know their Aunts and Uncles. Do I have any rights to see and visit with my siblings?

LdiJ

Sad_big_sister said:
What is the name of your state? Arkansas but I need a Missouri law question. My mother and step dad were married for 7 1/2 years and they had 5 kids together ages 19,16, 14, and a set of twins 12. He or should I say his new wife refuses to let me even see them. The thing is I have 2 sons who wants to get to know their Aunts and Uncles. Do I have any rights to see and visit with my siblings?
Is your mother deceased? Unfortunately I don't believe that AR has any provisions allowing for siblings to petition for visitation.

The 19 year old is free to do as he/she likes.

BelizeBreeze

First of all, by 'this is a Missouri question' I am assuming that although you live in Arkansas, the children are in Missouri. Correct?

If so, then Yes, you would have to file a petition for third-party visitation. It's called a Family Access Motion and can be found online HERE.

Secondly, the rest of the answer depend on whether or not your mother is deceased or divorced.

LdiJ

BelizeBreeze said:
First of all, by 'this is a Missouri question' I am assuming that although you live in Arkansas, the children are in Missouri. Correct?

If so, then Yes, you would have to file a petition for third-party visitation. It's called a Family Access Motion and can be found online HERE.

Secondly, the rest of the answer depend on whether or not your mother is deceased or divorced.
I hate to tell you this Belize....but that "Family Access Motion" that you are referring to is what MO uses in lieu of a "Show Cause for Contempt". That is what a person uses who already has an established visitation order and is being denied.

I did however miss that the children reside in MO rather than AR. Therefore I can now say with certainty that MO law does not give siblings standing to sue for visitation rights.

BelizeBreeze

LdiJ said:
I hate to tell you this Belize....but that "Family Access Motion" that you are referring to is what MO uses in lieu of a "Show Cause for Contempt". That is what a person uses who already has an established visitation order and is being denied.

I did however miss that the children reside in MO rather than AR. Therefore I can now say with certainty that MO law does not give siblings standing to sue for visitation rights.
I didn't say they allowed it, but only said that third-party visitation is an option that she / he has the right to explor. And yes, sibling visitation has been granted in Jackson County before. I'm still looking for the case law, but I believe the case came out of Independence.

Still, until further information is forthcoming, nothing can be absolute. For example, the current wife has NO LEGAL standing to say anything about visiting the siblings so where is DAD in all of this?

LdiJ

BelizeBreeze said:
I didn't say they allowed it, but only said that third-party visitation is an option that she / he has the right to explor. And yes, sibling visitation has been granted in Jackson County before. I'm still looking for the case law, but I believe the case came out of Independence.

Still, until further information is forthcoming, nothing can be absolute. For example, the current wife has NO LEGAL standing to say anything about visiting the siblings so where is DAD in all of this?
I would be interested in seeing that case if you locate it. We don't have it in our archives and I would like to include it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">