• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Sole, exclusive rights???

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

coreyholmgreen

What is the name of your state? Hawaii
I recently purchased a home with recorded ingress, egress easement rights. In the wording of the easement the owner granted me "sole" exclusive - rights, with a responsibility of "maintaining" the easement. The easement is 24' and runs the length of his property (about 1.5 acres). What can I do with the easement - can I put a fence running along his side of the easement seperating his property from the easement? Can I line the easement boundary with trees? Can I landscape the easement? Can I run septic lines into the easement? Can I put an electric gate at the entrance? Can I deny him access to the easement (his friends drive down it to short cut to his house)? Can I sell rights to the easement to other neighbors whose property value would increase due to the new "back access" ????? Help - Im easement clueless!!!

S

seniorjudge

coreyholmgreen said:
What is the name of your state? Hawaii
I recently purchased a home with recorded ingress, egress easement rights. In the wording of the easement the owner granted me "sole" exclusive - rights, with a responsibility of "maintaining" the easement. The easement is 24' and runs the length of his property (about 1.5 acres). What can I do with the easement - can I put a fence running along his side of the easement seperating his property from the easement? Can I line the easement boundary with trees? Can I landscape the easement? Can I run septic lines into the easement? Can I put an electric gate at the entrance? Can I deny him access to the easement (his friends drive down it to short cut to his house)? Can I sell rights to the easement to other neighbors whose property value would increase due to the new "back access" ????? Help - Im easement clueless!!!
Post the language of the easement EXACTLY.

But without the language, here are my GUESSES:

Q: What can I do with the easement - can I put a fence running along his side of the easement seperating his property from the easement?

A: No.

Q: Can I line the easement boundary with trees? Can I landscape the easement?

A: On your side.

Q: Can I run septic lines into the easement?

A: No, unless the easement states that it can be used for that purpose.

Q: Can I put an electric gate at the entrance? Can I deny him access to the easement (his friends drive down it to short cut to his house)?

Q: Can I sell rights to the easement to other neighbors whose property value would increase due to the new "back access" ?????

The "exclusive" part of the easement means probably that he wants only YOU to use the easement. He still has the right to grant others the right to use it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">