• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Deadbeat dads

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

stressed mom

What is the name of your state?New York I have a 3 year old child and his father was released from prison in December. We made an agreement that he takes him from friday night to sunday night. But last weekend he took our son out of state without my knowledge and I could not get in contact with anyone in his family. Then two days later he physically attacks a family friend ,in which he's never seen before, beats him up on top of a car in front of our son, and then he chases him down the street. He's never had a job up until about two weeks ago and he's never paid child support. He also has never signed the birth certificate. Now he and his family are consulting with a family lawyer to get joint custody and i wanted to know if it was possible for to get that!

BL

First , If he is NOT established as the Biological Father , I wouldn't even Allow the child to go anywhere with him .

Second , If he is on Parole and he Left state without Permission he was in violation of his terms , I'm sure . Can you prove it ?
Also If he's not established bio Dad he " might " be able to be charged with kidnapping ( taking a child across State lines w/o your permission ) .

You have heard at this point he and his Family are going to File for Joint Custody / Visits .

Get your butt down to the Court First and file . In NY State , if you can't afford an attorney , you will be screened to see if you are eligible for free council , if you are one will be appointed .
The Judge might Just decide to appoint one anyways .

You can keep Dad from taking the child and see what happens in Court .

Don't agree on Joint Custody whatever you do .

If he is awarded visits make sure an order is entered that neither party is to take the Child(ren) out of NY State without the written consent of the Other .

First off the Court will want proof of Paternity , if it has not already been established .

Last edited:

LdiJ

stressed mom said:
What is the name of your state?New York I have a 3 year old child and his father was released from prison in December. We made an agreement that he takes him from friday night to sunday night. But last weekend he took our son out of state without my knowledge and I could not get in contact with anyone in his family. Then two days later he physically attacks a family friend ,in which he's never seen before, beats him up on top of a car in front of our son, and then he chases him down the street. He's never had a job up until about two weeks ago and he's never paid child support. He also has never signed the birth certificate. Now he and his family are consulting with a family lawyer to get joint custody and i wanted to know if it was possible for to get that!
Ditto the advice you already have recieved....with one proviso...

I would try to get it included in the order that HE cannot take the child out of state without written permission. With his record/background it may be possible to do without you being equally restricted.

Also, hopefully the police were called when he attacked the family friend. Get your butt down to the police station and get a copy of the police report.

stressed mom

New York No he is not on parole but he did serve a year. Our family friend did file a police report but we were only able to get a harassment charge and not press charges because he had no physical injuries.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">