• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

stressed out!!!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tlwilli

What is the name of your state? Ohio
I have no idea what to do and was wondering if grandparents have any legal right what so ever to my kids. My Husband is gone in the military and I am raising 3 little ones by myself with little if no help. My in-laws whom I don't really get along with are calling me and threating me and is saying that they are goin to take me to court so they can see my childern. All that started this was me not answering my phone to talk to the woman. It is a long and complicated story that i am not goin to get into, but on top of everything this woman has been to my house twice to visit and i only live 45 minutes away. But her other childern live 2 hours away and she makes it to see them at least once a week. She never gets my kids anything for their birthdays or christmas or any other holiday. When i did ask for help one time in gettin diapers she told me she couldn't. And now that she is mad at me she is trying to bring my kids in the middle of it tellin me she has just as much rights to them as me. I don't agree. And she never wanted anything to do with them before stating that they weren't her sons kids a few times but now is trying to start up all this. I am just wondering what she can do and if she does have any legal rights to my children.
Stressed out and Wondering
need help in Ohio

LdiJ

tlwilli said:
What is the name of your state? Ohio
I have no idea what to do and was wondering if grandparents have any legal right what so ever to my kids. My Husband is gone in the military and I am raising 3 little ones by myself with little if no help. My in-laws whom I don't really get along with are calling me and threating me and is saying that they are goin to take me to court so they can see my childern. All that started this was me not answering my phone to talk to the woman. It is a long and complicated story that i am not goin to get into, but on top of everything this woman has been to my house twice to visit and i only live 45 minutes away. But her other childern live 2 hours away and she makes it to see them at least once a week. She never gets my kids anything for their birthdays or christmas or any other holiday. When i did ask for help one time in gettin diapers she told me she couldn't. And now that she is mad at me she is trying to bring my kids in the middle of it tellin me she has just as much rights to them as me. I don't agree. And she never wanted anything to do with them before stating that they weren't her sons kids a few times but now is trying to start up all this. I am just wondering what she can do and if she does have any legal rights to my children.
Stressed out and Wondering
need help in Ohio
No, she has no legal rights to your children of any kind. She also does not have standing to even sue for grandparent visitation rights because you are your husband are still married and legally within an intact family. Just ignore her.

B

bradybunchmom

grandma bug off

tell grandma if she doesnt leave you alone, you will get a restraining order on her. remind her that harrassment is illegal, and her harrasment and threats will land her in trouble with the law if she continues. dont let the old battle ax bully you anymore.

lilliemag

grandparents rights

sorry I don't agree with you... :rolleyes: As a grandmother my grandchild means the world to me... :) If possible I think if you and the grandparents could get along it would be of the best interest of your children, life is to short to play games... ;) If you don't come to an agreement and the grandparents can prove they are doing this for the best interest of the children they could possibly be awarded through the court system visitation rights... I know I've done this, believe me this won't help your relationship with the grandparents :( But as a grandparent I know the love of a grand child :) So think it over, it all could work out over time :cool:

LdiJ

lilliemag said:
sorry I don't agree with you... :rolleyes: As a grandmother my grandchild means the world to me... :) If possible I think if you and the grandparents could get along it would be of the best interest of your children, life is to short to play games... ;) If you don't come to an agreement and the grandparents can prove they are doing this for the best interest of the children they could possibly be awarded through the court system visitation rights... I know I've done this, believe me this won't help your relationship with the grandparents :( But as a grandparent I know the love of a grand child :) So think it over, it all could work out over time :cool:
No, that isn't correct legally. In Ohio grandparents do not have standing to sue (may not sue) when the family is intact. This is an intact family therefore the grandparent cannot sue for visitation rights.

lilliemag

I'm still in favor of trying the nice approach first... :) I don't know every states law...I'm from Va... :rolleyes: If this grandparent is a decent person she will only be good for the kids... ;) maybe put the kids feelings first... :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">