• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

pruning bushes

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

myghell

What is the name of your state? Texas

Sometime in the early 80's, I planted some pampas grass for my mother along the property line. The pampas grass has gone nuts (No one has trimmed or groomed them since I planted them, I left home.. College and such). Mom has recieved a notice from the city to remove the pampass grass next to the road, (they say it is a traffic hazzard). There are actually 3 bushes along the property line and since mom got the letter she is wanting them all removed. While trying to remove the pampas grass the new Neighbor said to leave it alone as he likes it and he feels it adds to his privacy. I showed him the letter and he said that he didn't care what the city did to mom, but if I cut the bushes down he would sue for damaging his property. I talked to the city, and they say that their survay shows that the bushes are mostly on our property so that's why we got the notice, and that if I don't remove at least the one bush then their going to do some terrible things to mom (the lady was not real clear about what was going to happen, just we didn't want it to happen). One person I talked to said to just try to cut down what is on our side and fight the city about what is on the Neighbor's side. Another said that since the city was involved that the city overrides any property line squabbles.

What do I do?

thanks in advance:

PghREA

The bushes that are on your Mom's property AND next to the road could not possibly be on your neighbor's property too. Those can be removed. The bushes that are on the property line (between your Mom and the neighbor and not blocking the sight line on the roadway) should not be a problem for the city and can be pruned or removed on your side of the property line.
Maybe you and the neighbor could work together to get the bushes under control since the neighbor wants to keep them.

Greg 2

I am not too familiar with pampas grass, but the following might be helpful.
Instead of cutting the pampas grass, in which event I suspect it will just grow back, offer it to your neighbor, let him/her dig it up and transplant to their yard.

The benefits are threefold; The city is happy, you will not have to mess with it anymore, and maybe the neighbor will become a little more friendly in the process.

Oh, one last item. The city cannot 'override property disputes'. Ponder this-What would the outcome be if the city instructed your neighbor to cut your ______[whatever], and they complied. Don't you think you would prevail in most any court, and what will the city do when challanged? Disavow any responsibility-that's what.

Shel77

Yep, either remove or cut the grass on your property don't touch anything that might be growing on his side, call the city and tell them all pampus grass has been removed from your mothers property and that if they need more of it taken down they will need to contact the neighboor because she will not allow removal for the portion on her property. This really is simple don't worry about it just take up your grass and call them, thats all they want. Nothing is going to happen to you. Besides these 'bad things' are just them comming and removing it themselves usually, especially since its near the road chances are it's in the easment and they would just send a city worker to chop it down which is what they may do to your neighboor if he refuses.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">