• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is this legal?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

texastee

Texas

I was fired by my employer.

Yesterday, I was served witha lawsuit for all of my past wages including taxes.

I was a salaried employee with no non compete or any other type contract or written agreement. He is also suing for the truck payment of the truck I was driving and all of the gas and oil changes.

WTH! I was doing company business not running erands or doing my own thing, this seems illegal to me.

BelizeBreeze

And, of course, you want an opinion based on no relevant facts regarding why the suit was filed right?

Well, yes, it's perfectly legal for him to sue you. Now, if you want more you'll have to come back with more facts.

Like, WHY?

texastee

Are you asking me why he fired me or why he is suing me?

If why he fired me is because he didn't like something I did during my last week there. There were no other problems nor did I ever have a write up.

Beth3

So what did you do during your last week?????

You need to provide some FACTS if you want an opinion on the viability of this lawsuit.

texastee

He is claiming I tried to underbid him on some work to start my own company.

One of our clients ask for a bid and when he failed to get it there on time and was very much out of their budget, I was told by the account manager and another manager that our company would not be getting the job because they were tired of the owner always sending in his bids late and most of the time over budget.

I was told they were going to rebid it. I offered to do an independent review for them on my own time, but that it was only to let them know if the project could be done within their budget.

So on my own time I reviewed the project and used my own time, computer, software etc to get them the info.

Well I have know one of these guys for a long time but not the other, it was the other guy who tolds my boos I was bidding against him.

The guy I know and I had a conversation and I sent him an e-mail clearing up any misunderstanding and he agreed that he understood. The boss did not know this info until 2-3 day after we had cleared up the misunderstanding but the other guy went ahead and told my boss I was going against him which was false.

Is this enough info?

Last edited:

BelizeBreeze

The boss still has the legal right to sue you. Whether or not he will prevail is dependent upon your witness and what your attorney will do.

Is that enough of an answer?

texastee

What gives him the right to sue me of 3 months of past wages when I did a good job for him and worked my butt off. I earned my salary.

I did a lot of good things for him and he is still reaping the rewards.

I guess I confused as to the reason he can sue me for those wages. If that is the cases them every employee everywhere is subject to being sued and a company then going after their wages.

I wasn't being a smart elec when I ask if that was enough info.

BelizeBreeze

texastee said:
What gives him the right to sue me of 3 months of past wages when I did a good job for him and worked my butt off. I earned my salary.
Well, to start with, the U.S. Constitution, State and Federal law and the fact that anyone can sue anyone for just about anything these days.
texastee said:
I did a lot of good things for him and he is still reaping the rewards.
So? What has this got to do with his right to sue?
texastee said:
I guess I confused as to the reason he can sue me for those wages. If that is the cases them every employee everywhere is subject to being sued and a company then going after their wages.
Yep, that's the reality of it alright. And every company can be worried that every employee who they fire can sue them also....wait, that's happing already.
texastee said:
I wasn't being a smart elec when I ask if that was enough info.
I never said you were. I think someone has a burr up their butt.

texastee

BelizeBreeze said:
Well, to start with, the U.S. Constitution, State and Federal law and the fact that anyone can sue anyone for just about anything these days.

So? What has this got to do with his right to sue?

Yep, that's the reality of it alright. And every company can be worried that every employee who they fire can sue them also....wait, that's happing already.

I never said you were. I think someone has a burr up their butt.

I'm sorry, I thought that you thouhgt I was being that way. No burr up my butt, just trying to get some answers and I am calling attorney's today.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">