• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My sister had two other children!!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jayce96

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? New York

My sister was recently killed in a car accident. After going through papers of hers, I found journals and a packet of pictures and cards of 2 other children that she had. This was a total shock!!! She put both children up for adoption through Catholic Charities. She corresponded with this family and they sent her cards of how they were doing and pictures of them. I have no last names, but I do have all their first names (adoption parents also). I contacted Catholic Charities, but they can't do or say anything to me. I need some advice please!!! My parents don't know about this. Your probably wondering "how come they didn't know she was pregnant?", well my sister was a very large person and when she was pregnant with her first 2 children (which she did keep) no one could tell she was pregnant. She never married the father of all 4 children, and they haven't live together in about 7 or more years. The kids she gave up for adoption are 10 and 7 now. I have the little girls adoption papers, but not the little boys. I don't want my parents to find them. We searched her house high and low and can't find them. What are my rights as an aunt? ANY advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

nextwife

I'm sorry for your loss.

Legally, you are not the aunt. When sis ceased to legally be mom, you ceased to be aunt. Your late sister had no legal rights regarding those children, so you would have no legal rights at all.

You CAN contact Catholic Charities, and ask them to convey the news to the children's family, and express your desire for contact. After that, it is up to their parents whether they desire to continue biofamily contact.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">