• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

manager rented out condo without permission

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nanalinsk

What is the name of your state? Florida

My mother in law owns a condo in Florida. Due to the illness of her husband she did not go this winter. A man well known in the complex has, for a fee, watched her condo and run her car during her absence. This yr he called and asked if she would be willing to rent the condo out for a few days at $50 a day. The renters were visiting their mother and would not use the w/d, or be cooking etc. just sleep there. My mother in law at 84 is always leary about change and told him she didn't think she wanted to do that, but would think about it and call back if she changed her mind. My 31 year old daughter was there and heard her. They discussed it and my m-i-l told her she was afraid to rent it with so many of her personal items in it. Weeks later, her sister stopped by to drop something off at the condo and was surprised to find 3 women and 3 children staying there. They did not know this rental was without permission from the owner and had agreed to pay him $250 for 4 days. They spoke on the phone to my m-i-l and were instructed to mail her the rent check and the key when they left. She called the manager numerous times over the next few days and he never picked up the phone. Wks later he called, demanding his $50 (commission). I am flying there with her to get the car key (he has) and ck the condo. The women said the apt was dirty when they arrived...my m-i-l keeps her houses immaculate so I suspect someone else has been there before. He is angry and was nasty to my m-i-l on the phone so she is scared. What is her legal standing? When we get there, if there are problems what should we do? She hasn't paid him for his services but now is spending $1,ooo in travel and caregivers for her husband while she and I go. What are her rights?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">