• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Arizona...Hell...O?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jimmysgirl2

What is the name of your state?AZArizona...Hell...O? My livin Boyfriend had his court day yesterday and the judge said to give his ex's lawyer whatever they ask for...which includes my financial information. I still don't believe his has the right to involve me in this case. We have built a home together, but have no plans to marry. I keep my finances separate from his and would like to keep it that way. We won't have children together, way past that, so don't see a reason to marry. (the institution has been bad for both of us.) He has a hearing date in May and if anyone out there has any ideas on this I would greatly appreciate. At this point we have not gotten a lawyer, the ex has been paying one all along...the money should be going to the kid, but she is upset that her ex if FINALLY happy :) Please help!

A

absconder

$$$$$$$$

Az is a community property state. Im wondering if the judge is taking the position yall are common law married or whatever.

Summer will only feel like an Eternity.

jg:

So, two letters from the ex's att'y...an initial hearing...and your boyfriend didn't get thrown in the slammer for not providing YOUR financial info?!

Are YOU a party to this suit? No. And you just won't give him the info. You don't want YOUR SSN floating around and you don't want anyone having your bank account numbers. Period. He just CAN'T get the info from you. You're not married. You're just roomates. That have sex, sometimes. And now, not even sometimes!

So, why did the judge say to give the ex's att'y "everything" he asks for? Because your boyfriend wasn't represented by his own att'y. In my opinion, it's never a good idea to go to court Pro Se against another party represented by counsel. If he's going to get an att'y, your BF might want to start looking.

Did the judge refer your boyfriend's case to Expedited Services? This is a support REVIEW, right?

Phnx02

jimmysgirl2 said:
What is the name of your state?AZArizona...Hell...O? My livin Boyfriend had his court day yesterday and the judge said to give his ex's lawyer whatever they ask for...which includes my financial information. I still don't believe his has the right to involve me in this case. We have built a home together, but have no plans to marry. I keep my finances separate from his and would like to keep it that way. We won't have children together, way past that, so don't see a reason to marry. (the institution has been bad for both of us.) He has a hearing date in May and if anyone out there has any ideas on this I would greatly appreciate. At this point we have not gotten a lawyer, the ex has been paying one all along...the money should be going to the kid, but she is upset that her ex if FINALLY happy :) Please help!
Arizona is not a common law state. Regardless, I don't know of a single state that considers a live-in girlfriend's income......or even a new spouse's income......when determing child support. The child is his financial obligation, not yours. I would simply refuse to provide this information. If the judge still wants this info, then I would wait for him to specify this in supeneoa form.

abstract99

I was allowed to subpoena my ex's new hubbies bank account. You know why. Because ex was getting sneaky and putting her paychecks in his bank accounts so that it would not show up on her bank info as a deposit. Hence, making it look like she made less money. Oh this was in az too.

VeronicaGia

newguyhere said:
I was allowed to subpoena my ex's new hubbies bank account. You know why. Because ex was getting sneaky and putting her paychecks in his bank accounts so that it would not show up on her bank info as a deposit. Hence, making it look like she made less money. Oh this was in az too.
My husband puts all his money in my account too. It is simply easier if only one of us takes care of the bills, and that person is me. You can believe if you did this to me, or talked a judge into doing this to me, I'd file for divorce and temporary alimony so fast it would make your head spin. Technically, since my husband pays support, I pay more of the household bills already, something I accepted a long time ago and do not complain about. There's no way in hell you'd ever get my information because it is none of your business.

The fact is that IRS tax forms and paystubs don't lie. Where one puts his money is not your business, because you have access to all income via legitimate documents. And in our posters case, she is not even married to the guy. If he lived with a male friend, would they be asking for this information? I doubt it.

Tell him to get an attorney, NOW!

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
VeronicaGia said:
The fact is that IRS tax forms and paystubs don't lie. Where one puts his money is not your business, because you have access to all income via legitimate documents.
Well, sometimes they do. Case in point... when we were going through a mod, the ex was very resistant to providing any tax records. The judge ordered them produced - which he finally did, havign his wife's income redacted. Which would have been fine, except he didn't actuall simply redact - he had his tax preparer prepare a second (not filed) return for purposes of the court. Unfortunately, the numbers were also played with to the ex's advantage. So the judge ordered a filed copy of the original return - with her income included on it. We also did agree that it would not be entered into evidence, but would be available for the judge to examine in camera.

Last edited:

VeronicaGia

I wouldn't go that far, but all my income would be blacked out and has been done. The court has access to the tax forms from the IRS, so playing the game you mentioned would be stupid on anyone's part. I simply don't believe my income should have anything to do with it. But then again, I simply don't think it helps to lie like that in court, because it always comes back to bite the person in the butt. It's not worth the hassle.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Exactly. And the only reason we pushed it further was because he played the games. So the question became what he was hiding. LOL Tho my favorite was a 1099 that he produced which plainly showed the original number whited-out and a new one handwritten in. :rolleyes:

VeronicaGia

stealth2 said:
Exactly. And the only reason we pushed it further was because he played the games. So the question became what he was hiding. LOL Tho my favorite was a 1099 that he produced which plainly showed the original number whited-out and a new one handwritten in. :rolleyes:
Brother! What an idiot. Did he really think that would fly? Once again, way too much hassle for us. Especially since it's just so darned easy to get caught and then...! Judges don't like that kind of stuff. Honesty in court gets 25% of net, that type of lying could anger a judge to the legal limit of 50-65%. Forget that, not worth it.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
What's actually funny is that I was looking for an increase only to what guideline would have been 7 years ago when we divorced (I agreed to 2/3's at the time, with the understanding that he'd increase it as he made a greater income - well, he was making in excess of three times as much, so I figured that was reasonable enough). And yes, I included my current income (also higher). The whole thing took over 18mos and a full week in court. Wanna guess who paid my legal fees? So so silly, really - it would have been a very simple accounting of what we each make, is the amount reasonable, and we're done.

Aaaah well.... what do you expect from a pig besides a grunt, eh?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">