• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Company vs. Signature

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

perraultd

What is the name of your state? Arkansas

I attempted to purchase an item using a credit card at a store. This store uses one of those "electronic signature" devices that are so common these days.

The cashier was not impressed with my signature, which consisted solely of a smiley face. Not only was she not impressed, but she contacted her manager, who was not particularly thrilled about it, either. They stated that I would not be allowed to use a smiley face as a signature. I would have to sign my name.

Naturally, this absolutely shocked me. I know that a signature, legally speaking, can consist of any symbol one chooses. My question is, can a business legally ignore that definition to suit their own opinion about what a signature should be?

Thank you,

:)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">